TN: 2016 Biggio Hamina Cellars Sangiovese Kiona Vineyard (USA, Washington)

• 2016 Biggio Hamina Cellars Sangiovese Kiona Vineyard - USA, Washington (6/14/2020)
    Nice little Italian-esque wine. Cherries, even sour cherries, great acidity and good tannins. There’s a hint of smoke and maybe some herbs there , too. Feels like I’m sipping a nice little Montepulciano in some trattoria up in a village sonewhere. And it just happens to be the case I’m cooking some pasta tonight after 2 weeks away from carbs - I’m pretty shure the pairing is gonna be great. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Adam, Sounds pretty tasty. Can’t say I’ve ever had Sangiovese from Oregon. I’m the sure the pasta was delicous. thanks for the note.

I tried this at the last Memorial Day open house and really enjoyed it. Your notes align with my memory. Todd made a wonderful unexpected gem here.

Kiona Vineyard is actually in WA. A number of wineries buy fruit from them.

Nice. I had this back in April:

• 2016 Biggio Hamina Cellars Sangiovese Kiona Vineyard - USA, Washington (4/6/2020)
    This was totally delicious. Washington’s version of a Chianti Classico. Very clear, light ruby color. The appearance belies its concentration, as bright cherry and raspberry flavors jump out of the glass, and are abundant on the palate. Very bright, and the acid provides a great contrast to the pleasing sweetness of fruit. Delicious, and a great match with pasta and a hearty meat sauce. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks Gents, I tried not to lean into this wine too much. 20% whole cluster, 42 days in the fermenter, 22 months in neutral (old) barrels, spontaneous primary and secondary ferments, unfiltered and racked once for bottling. So, the usual…

Nice, Todd. I love visiting Kiona and seeing some of that “old” vineyard out there. It’s a cool site, and really holds a lot of Washington’s wine history in its vines. The old stuff, I believe, is all Cab Sauv. Do you know about how old these Sangio vines are?

I want to say 1997.

The old vines aren’t just Cab. Lemberger (Blaufränkisch) was planted in there in 1976 alongside the Cabernet and those old vines are still kicking as well, the first vines planted on Red Mountain and the first Lemberger planted in the United States. My wife and I recently made a fun video about those vines (and the wine we make from them).

Gonna have to get my hands on some of Todd’s Sangiovese.

Very cool, Matt. Thanks.