TN: 2018 Elyse Zinfandel Morisoli Vineyard (USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford)

• 2018 Elyse Zinfandel Morisoli Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford (6/15/2020)
    This is about as overtly sexy as Zinfandel can get. Ripe, supple red and black fruit, touches of coffee and cherry liqueur, and just a bit of finishing spice. It did start out a bit hot, but an hour of air took care of that. Not for lower alcohol enthusiasts, but sure makes a great antidote for a Monday.

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

David,

I only started drinking zins in the last 5 years. I drink mostly Ridge but bought a bottle of this wine with some age on it at auction. I can’t remember the vintage but I fell in love with this producer and vineyard. I have been on the hunt for aged bottles ever since. I recently opened a 2004. It was everything I look for in an aged zins. I used Wine-Searcher to find a store that had three more bottles of ‘04’s that I bought @$19 a bottle. I respect your palate so it gives me additional pleasure that you like his wine too.

Cheers!

FYI, it’s a different, if highly talented winemaker now.

I picked up a bottle of this from Windbid last year. A 1995. I was stunned at how youthful and powerful it was. For any wine nevermind a Zin. Good to know it’s still being made.

Nice note - I’m really looking forward to tasting these 2018 Zins. I concur that this producer/vineyard usually shows very well. I don’t recall the last vintage that I drank, but it was very good and I’m always on the lookout for some older vintages when I get the chance to prowl some of the better wine shops. Cheers!

This sounds promising. I’m excited for their other wines with Russel at the helm.

Russell being the winemaker is why I tried them during the Berserker Quarantine Relief.

Great wines, but not for the faint of heart. I’ve yet to taste any of their wines that are not massive. Good time to restock.

This bottle was a complete reflection of Russell Bevan - exuberant and fun.

I am so happy to read this note. I first visited their tasting room over 20 years ago and used to enjoy the zins in their youth. Not sure why I stopped buying, but a few years ago, I picked up some 2015 Elyse York Creek zinfandel and it was delicious! Really nice to see others enjoying these wines.

I usually don’t like Zin much, but this was great. I agree that really sexy and has the polish that I’d associate more with a Napa Cab than Zin. Big red fruit, a bit of underlying bramble, and a wonderful gentle, yet clear, white pepper finish. Really great tannins and overall mouthfeel.

Just popped one of these tonight - holy shite this stuff is good!

1 Like

That’s a much more concise tasting note than mine!

I had my bottle of this a month or two ago. I didn’t take notes but I remember it was really good. The comp I could think of was a young Limerick Lane — it has that kind of high definition delicious gloss to it, but which just stays in bounds and doesn’t get pruney or heavy.

well, your’s was a tad more informative :smiley: And I agree with your note! Super sexy zin, spicy, just outstanding. We had this along side a DeNegoce N.61 Dry Creek Zin, and while the DeNegoce was very good, there was just no comparison.

And like some of those Limerick Lane wines, I suspect drinking up while it’s young and flashy is the best advice.

The revival of this thread has me with another 2018 Elyse Zin on deck for tonight.

This seems to have settled down a little bit since our tasting at the winery three months ago. Just a little less effusive than that day. Still, it’s got a great nose and there’s terrific juicy red and blue fruit here, kept in check with enough acidity and tannin to balance everything out. Given this first effort, I’m looking forward to seeing what Russell is able to do with the Morisoli fruit as he gets more familiar with the vineyard. 91 pts, for me.

I should add that I haven’t sampled the 2018 Korte Ranch zin yet, but am tempted after the note you posted two weeks ago, David. Might put that on deck soon.