TN: 2003 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc (France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan)

• 2003 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (6/16/2020)
    The reds might be modern, but this white was stupendous, and delivered the “goods” for three days straight. To start, this wine was crisp, and tight, and just exuding liquid mineral perceptions and liquid stones. I hate to say it is rich, but it is, just not in a sweet or too ripe way, it’s just rich with mineral, and earth, and white fruit, and flowers, and hints of coriander and fennel seeds. On the third day, I get a hint of furry melon vine and honeydew rind. The approach is dry, but it yields, and envelops the mouth, and begs to be sipped again and again. This, surely, is one of the best whites I have drunk this year! (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

May I ask what food you paired with?

The 2019 EP thread has now found the mystical drinker of white Bordeaux!

The first night, Hawaiian Snapper, lightly spiced on a flat top griddle with slightly browned parsleyed butter. Saved a little and now I’m sitting watching it rain and enjoying it by itself. Its rather cold where I am, so I think that helps. I love it. It has a little Fruit and mineral of a good Trocken Riesling from, say Uli Stein, and some pithy flint from a good Chardonnay.

Funny, I only own two more white Bordeaux. A one off 1998 Haut Brion Blanc, and a 1999 Margaux Pavillon Blanc.

That Snapper sounds very delicious. I have a '05 and '07 that I’ve been meaning to drink up. Will be looking forward to it.

Very nice! I can’t say I liked this wine very much at UGC way back when.

DdeC Blancs are fantastic wines. I’m sitting on a case of a few vintages.
Thanks for the note.

Had a tasting in the end of January this year, where the 2003 was very fine as well!

The 2004 (3 bottles tried) were all too advanced.

The 1998 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc was amazing, the 1999 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc was fine (especially for the age), but suffered from the great 1999. The 2009 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc was delicious, but the 2010 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc too advanced. So all in all, reason to pay attention when buying these. However, when they are on, they are on!

Luckily I own some 2003 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc which I am going to open 05.07.2020 for lunch in the same flight with a 2010 Château Smith Haut Lafitte Blanc…Already looking forward to this! And hope the 2003 will perform as well as it did for the OP!

Thanks for posting your notes (and nice photo)! I’m amazed at the inconsistencies and variability between vintages.

Thoughts on the reds?

Some of the bottles came from the personal cellars of two private wine lovers. They both have good cellars (off course!). Some were brought in by a Dutch merchant which came straight from the cellar of the Domaine itself because he has a good relation with Olivier Bernard. So provenance should not have been a problem?

This was the red flight. So we had 2000-2010. The 2001 (on Magnum also send by the Domaine was corked pileon ).
Of the other vintages which were not corked(!) the 2009 was the best for consumption now (giving the most), the 2010 more for the future and the 2005 close behind these two. Off course, this was my conclusion and some of the others thought differently…

Thanks for the notes. I’ve been wondering where all the White Bordeaux TNs are :wink:! Seems like extended cellaring for these means rolling the dice a little. I have a bunch of recent releases (probably '14 on?). Could someone chime in with thoughts on drinkability at different ages and stages? In general, I prefer well-aged whites and have higher than average tolerance for some oxidative flavours.