TN: 1998 Fougas Maldoror, Côtes de Bourg

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Rudi Finkler

TN: 1998 Fougas Maldoror, Côtes de Bourg

#1 Post by Rudi Finkler » June 17th, 2020, 8:18 am

The last time, I opened a bottle of 1998 Fougas Maldoror, was about five or six years ago. The wine was splendid then. Therefore, expectations were high last night and, fortunately, we weren’t disappointed.
On the exuberant nose, exotic spices, dried flowers, tobacco, and black currant in abundance.
On the lush palate, ripe black currants, plums, blueberries, black cherries, anise, licorice, dried herbs, and an excellent minerality.
And on the generously lingering finish, spices, minerals, and exquisite herbal notes that create a pleasant bitter feeling.
This is an excellently balanced wine. 12,5% alcohol. - Côtes de Bourg is such an underestimated appellation.

1998-Fougas-Maldoror.jpg
Rudi - The Bordeauxphile

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." Francis Bacon

Steen T Olsen

Re: TN: 1998 Fougas Maldoror, Côtes de Bourg

#2 Post by Steen T Olsen » June 17th, 2020, 12:13 pm

Once again, an older "petit chateau" Bordeaux shows brilliantly. And 12,5%! flirtysmile Thank you for the note, Rudi.
Visit my instagram page @steenthaulow [cheers.gif]

Arv R

#3 Post by Arv R » June 20th, 2020, 10:35 am

I had a 2000 that had gotten lost, and found it some years ago, still pretty good as I recall.

It aged better than I'd assumed it would, although outside of Roc de Cambes its an AOC I'd mostly drink on the younger side.
R_@_0

Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Julian Marshall » June 22nd, 2020, 12:39 am

Thanks for this Rudi - like all your notes, it's fascinating. I'm an occasional buyer of Fougas Maldoror, which always provides great value, but I have never tried ageing any longer than 10 to 12 years post vintage, so you have inspired me to keep back a few to try!

Rudi Finkler

#5 Post by Rudi Finkler » June 22nd, 2020, 6:50 am

Thank you for your kind words, Julian! I would like to return the compliment! Indeed, Côtes de Bourg wines like Fougas Maldoror, Epicurea de Cht. Martinat, or Roc de Cambes provide great pleasure when young, but have an astonishing aging potential nonetheless. Given its relatively youthful vibe, I expect the 1998 Fougas Maldoror to continue drinking brilliantly for another two decades.
Rudi - The Bordeauxphile

Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Julian Marshall » June 22nd, 2020, 7:13 am

Rudi Finkler wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 6:50 am
Côtes de Bourg wines like Fougas Maldoror, Epicurea de Cht. Martinat, or Roc de Cambes provide great pleasure when young, but have an astonishing aging potential nonetheless. Given its relatively youthful vibe, I expect the 1998 Fougas Maldoror to continue drinking brilliantly for another two decades.
Considering the price - that's amazing. Roc de Cambes I would more or less expect - but Fougas Maldoror perhaps not!

Brent C l a y t o n

#7 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » June 22nd, 2020, 1:34 pm

If you bought this on futures it was something like $8. A friend who had bought some 2000 told me he opened one a couple years ago and it was falling apart. Nice to hear a positive note.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Rudi Finkler

#8 Post by Rudi Finkler » June 22nd, 2020, 10:46 pm

I had the 2000 and 2001 a few years ago and I didn’t see any signs of premature aging, but a change in style towards a bit more concentration and ‘jammy’ fruit. Both wines are delicious nonetheless and clearly on a par with most of the more prestigious wines from Pomerol and most of the classified growths from Saint-Emilion. However, the 1998 Fougas Maldoror is my personal favorite.
Rudi - The Bordeauxphile

Return to “Wine Talk”