Etienne Sauzet Montrachet

Just picked up some 2014 and 2017 Etienne Sauzet Montrachet. Super excited. Would love to hear any thoughts opinions on this particular cuvée.

Jeremy Holmes would be the guy to weigh in, methinks. You might message him directly.

fred

One-upping show-off. neener

Sauzet doesn’t have the best track record re premox, but when on they are as good as any top white burg.

Someone brought the 2006 to a dinner and it didn’t show well…

I have a 2000 sleeping in the cellar and I’m looking forward to it / hoping it’s not premoxed…

While I’ve not had their Montrachet, in my view Sauzet has been absolutely on fire in recent vintages. I bet the Montys are phenomenal.

I have personally had few premox problems with Sauzet since the '05s. Have not had a recent vintage Montrachet, but both '14 and '17 should be superb. It’s typically a more exotic style (suitable for the vineyard) than Sauzet’s other wines - like they’re letting themselves go and having fun a bit :slight_smile:. Hope you enjoy, and no rush.

used to be true. Fine now. Big improvements.

2010 Sauzet M pretty good, still young. Don Cornwell would have more info—it’s in his yearly dinner.

I hope the best for you with the ‘00… I will never buy another bottle of Sauzet after drinking way too far advanced examples of ‘00,’01 early in their life…

NB Not their own vineyards - this comes from Baron Thenard who deliver the wine after malo, having used barrels of Sauzet’s choice. Shows well when I taste it pre bottling but I have not drunk it in bottle.

I was just trying to remember whose grapes they are, thanks Jasper!

You are very lucky Sauzet killed it in 14 and 17, both great vintages. Depending on how many bottles you have both could be checked in on now. I has a 15 Sauzet Montrachet over the past weekend and it did not have the acid and precision of 14 and 17.

+1

Had a 99 Sauzet Montrachet in 2003 or 2004. It was big and rich with lots of bacon fat. Recall the vines were pretty young 15 years or so. Drank it at Vigne in Portland rode the street car home it was a good afternoon.

[flash=][/flash]

Good info! So they’re still pretty young now at only 30 years.

Anyone have thoughts on the 2017 Sauzet Chevy, Batard and BBM? Have a good offer, but I’m debating how deep to go on them and whether to get them all or just 1 or 2 to go with the Monty. As I’m sure everyone is aware, I’m not going to buy just 1 or 2 of any of them, so want to make them count.

Sauzet’s Montrachet is spectacular. Right up there with the very best for mine.

For the money, and indeed all things being equally, I would probably just as rather have the domaine (and very old vine) Bâtard and BBM as the négoce Montrachet…

Personally, I’ve found the Batard a little uneven in terms of excitement levels. There are vintages where I feel the Combettes is the better wine (e.g. '06 and '07). I’ve only had the BBM twice and it’s been brilliant. The Chevalier is also very good, but at the prices I’ve seen I’m unconvinced, and again my sample size is smaller than the Batard.

No experience with the Montrachet, but our wine group just had a 2011 Etienne Sauzet La Garenne which was lovely…