TN: 2003 Marc Colins et Fils Montrachet

Something is wrong with this bottle but not sure if it’s premox or something else.

Nose is muted with just a hint of the warm minerality that should abound. Palate is completely flat, with a touch of underripe peach and the finish is slightly bitter with a clear toffee and butterscotch element.

Any fruit notes at all? If not could be low level TCA.

Bummer Andrew. The '04 version of this particular wine is fabulous! Pierre-Yves Colin was making all of these wines back then also…

Not really any fruit. Another thing I found odd is that the cork itself seemed to have a white powder coating similar to chalk paint. Scraping a layer of the cork revealed a normal looking cork underneath. It was on the entire cork sides and bottom. I’ve never seen anything like this before. Also, there was some funk/mold on the top of the cork before opening, although we know that doesn’t necessarily mean a problem underneath.

Has anyone had a great 03 grand cru white burg?? I Have not. Had many, but none were anything to get excited about.

Paul: Dauvissat Clos. Not typical, but a pretty extraordinary wine. FWIW, I can’t think of one from the cdb but probably haven’t tried enough

clipped by TCA.

03 and 15 are my least favorite vintages of white burgs since I started paying attention in 2000. Heat wave dehydration brought ph down and alcohols up to a level of preservation. I’ve had 03s that had no business still drinking like Matrot Charmes still youthful but not doing much. Hard vintage for white wine with all that heat. Reminded me of your description of the 03 Colin this vintage ages on its alcohol instead of acidity.

Saved the rest of the bottle and just tried some tonight. Pure wet cardboard at this point, definitely corked.