How to keep wine glasses immaculate???

We have Zaltos and a decanter that have become stained over time. What’s the best way to restore these to like-new condition?

Efferdent is good for cleaning stained decanters. Two or three tablets in warm water work well.

1 Like

Baking soda works well also

Thanks, everyone! Seems easy enough :slight_smile:

This is what I use (with warm water) for decanters. Works great

So I’ll admit I didn’t take such great care of a couple glasses when I first got into this hobby. Despite using a warm water/white vinegar bath, or doing vinegar + baking soda, I can’t get the small stains in the bottom of the bowl out. Anything else I could try?

Put some ice cubes in the glass, pour in a a table spoon or so of salt, swirl around, then rinse out. The salt granules help the scouring without scratching

Try using a microfiber cloth designed for glassware to dry out the bowl after washing

I use one now, but the two glasses I’m talking about are probably past the point of recovery. These stains in particular won’t come off.

Have you tried leaving the vinegar and baking soda solution in the glasses overnight? I’ve had great success with stubbornly stained glasses.

1 Like

the small steel beads they sell for that also work for the hard stains.

No. I can try that tonight.

Oxi-clean works well, too, but be sure to rinse very, very well.

I use Oxi-Clean as well (it’s just a combination of soda ash and hydrogen peroxide, rinses off clean with no residue)

have used “OOOO” steel wool gently in the bottom of the glass to remove some stubborn stains.

This is an old trick I learned when working in kitchens as a kid and and I had to clean coffee pots. I still use it.

(on a side note, when I saw the title of the thread my first response was “don’t have sex with it”)

Lots of good ideas here.

The bottom line is - you need something high pH to get the stains out, just like we use in wineries, and then something acidic to rinse so it’s “squeaky” clean. I use a bit of peroxy carb (high pH winery cleaner) in my worst glasses and decanters from time to time. I have some citric acid powder to take care of the rinse, but in a pinch I use…wine, preferably white just so we’re not restaining. Use a small amount, tip and twirl the glass to coat the inside, then water rinse for squeaky clean.

And yes, I’ll usually let the high pH solution sit in the glass for a while if not overnight to get rid of bad stains.

Because I don’t think anyone’s said it, even if you don’t clean your wine glasses the night you use them, rinse out the spot of wine at the bottom before going to bed and/or leave some water in the glass overnight just so things don’t dry out before you get to cleaning.

Or I suppose you can do the old bachelor underpants thing. When you need them clean - buy new ones. [tease.gif]

My father used to swirl shotgun shot in wine decanters back in the day. Back then, they were made of lead. Explains a lot.
Phil Jones

I’ve always used food grade citric acid. It’s also great for rinsing your dishwasher and washing machine.

Vincent,

Where can I buy household quantities of the peroxy carb and citric acid?

Thanks