TN: 1993 Domaine Serene Pinot Noir Evenstad Reserve (USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley)

• 1993 Domaine Serene Pinot Noir Evenstad Reserve - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (6/19/2020)
    Poured in a Grassl Cru glass and followed over the course of the afternoon. Bottle was standing for a month prior to let fine sediment settle, did not decant.

Ruby and translucent in color with minimal bricking. There is so much going on in this wine. It starts with a seductive and complex nose of dried rose petals, dried raspberries and cherries, iron, beef blood, espresso powder, potting soil, and touch of mushroom. Concentrated and intense dried raspberries, cherries, plum, and sous bois dominate on the palate, held in focus by vibrant acidity and well-integrated supple tannins.

This wine is fully mature and probably drinking at peak now. Everything is in harmony and I’m impressed how well the fruit has kept all these years. I believe this has at least a decade of life left before starting to fade. (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Very interesting. Didn’t know Willamette wines were built for 30+ years. I had some young Serene Evenstad during my Willamette phase years ago and can’t say I was very impressed.

I wish I could have had this bottle with you, Brian. I tried a few of the '90s Serene wines years ago and thought they were fine, but not earthshattering, and the newer vintages I’ve tried are big, CA-style oak bombs, so this note surprised me.

Still a Ken Wright wine back then.

+1 the early 90’s Ken wines from DS and PC were very beautiful efforts.

Wow, lucky nice score! Join us for Social tonight if you can

The Carter Vineyard bottlings from both places were terrific. I still remember the 91 DS Carter. Terrific and elegant wine.

Believe it! For example, the 1985 Eyrie South Block is truly singing today.

I think the longevity of a wine has more to do with how its grapes were grown and how it was made than where it comes from.

I remember a '90 PC Carter as one of my first “WOW” OR Pinots after I moved up here, but also had some really mediocre PC wines. I think it was '92 Bednarik that had some refermentation issues?

This is my first OR pinot with some serious age (beyond 10-12 years), and actually my oldest pinot noir in general. I may be a novice with the region, but I don’t see why some of the wines being made today wouldn’t be able to last this long.

The early vintage DDO and Beaux Freres wines I have had also stood the test of time.

I’ve had the privilege of drinking the 85 South Block half a dozen times in the last decade. It is the best Oregon Pinot Noir I’ve had.

On another note, the 1993 vintage in Oregon has produced many beautiful wines that aged very well. At the time, critics preferred 1994 because it was supposedly bigger/richer.

There were a lot of good vintages from 85-94. 89, 90, and 91 all produced some really lovely wines, that demonstrated the Valley’s potential and also aged well.

I recently had a bottle of 1988 Temperance Hill made by Myron Redford that was in great shape. The youth of the vines showed in that it wasn’t as complex a wine as I have seen from THV, but aging for 30 years is not a problem.

Cristom’s wines from the 93 on are also benchmark for quality and aging ability from the Willamette Valley.

Wow, great note and thanks for sharing.

Ssssshhhhhhhh! Let’s keep this aged Oregon Pinot appreciation a secret. I’ve been able to purchase numerous bottles of aged Oregon Pinot in the last few years including a bunch of 98 and 99 Torii Mor’s and 2000 Patricia Green bottles this week. I have not had anything as old as 93, but I have enjoyed bottles from 97 moving forward. Actually, opened a 98 Rex Hill Reserve last night. Beautiful wine. I’ve mentioned it several times, but I like to review Mr. Anderson’s drinkability chart on the Patricia Green website and Mr. O’Donnell’s cellar notes on the Belle Pente website for specific vintage notes. I’m beyond convinced that Oregon Pinot can age effortlessly. Heck 2008’s are finally showing signs of life after a long slumber.

I’ve heard folks mention that Ken Wright believes that the Carter Vineyard offers the best aging potential of his wines. Probably an underrated site in Oregon.

All of this Oregon discussion is a sad reminder that I should be in Oregon this week. Heading to Coquine tonight and gearing up for a week of tastings in the Valley. I hope everyone is well and I look forward to a visit in the near future.

James