Rhône white wines

I don’t see much written about Rhône white wines. I’ve had a few I really liked, and would like to start collecting. Any recommendations? Also, how well do these age?

Some would say that Chave Hermitage Blanc doesn’t enter its drinking window until 20-30 years in. See TN: Second Zoom tasting – Chave Hermitage - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers for a discussion

Beaucastel’s CdP blanc is very good

If you are willing to try California versions, I highly recommend Tercero. And Larry Schaffer is a member here.

A lot of people do not like them, so that’s why you won’t find many notes. I write about 2-3 notes/year on them.
Hunt around under: Hermitage blanc, St Joseph blanc, Condrieu, St. Peray, Chateauneuf-du-Pape blanc and you should find a lot of notes.

+1

I am still a piker but the most useful entry point for me has been to divide this world into two buckets: 1) viognier and 2) everything else (which includes blends with viognier that doesn’t dominate).

I spend a lot more time on the “everything else” side where the wines tend to be savory, herbal, and food friendly. A few that I have enjoyed: FR: Texier, Cuilleron US: Tablas Creek AU: Tahbilk

Xavier Gerard does a nice condrieu.

Josh Raynolds just wrote them up in May over at Vinous.

Good advice above.

Personally, I don’t like the way they age, but others do.

My favorites are in Condrieu AOC, and viognier based lower level ones. I really do not care for the white CNDPs, whether Beaucastels or whoever. I had a blanc de Nalys recently, eh.

I do buy Guigals basic CdR blanc each year; its smaller production than their multi million case red. I think maybe 4k cases a year.

Only tried it once but the Cave de Tains blanc basic Crozes was surprisingly good I thought - its more of a marsanne/rousanne style white, so lighter with some quinine notes.

Its definitely a niche category so some of what you can try will depend on your local stores, or shipping options. If you can get stuff from Chambers St, I’ve liked Barou’s white Rhones a lot

Beaucastel VV is a tremendous value and head and shoulders above the CDP Blanc. Always drinkable on release it peaks usually 3-7 years depending on the vintage.Usually holds at least a good decade!

There’s a portion of Levi Dalton’s interview with Jean-Louis Chave during which JL talks about the Hermitage Blanc and what makes it special. Really enlightening, especially the historical context. That said, echoing others, I still think it’s hard to nail drinking windows for these wines.

Right at the 1:07:00 mark is where he starts:

1 Like

Thanks Arturo.

I’ve had a few magical examples and when they’re on, they’re incredible. Agree that depending on the vintage it’s a bit unclear on the drinking windows, and the best are very expensive relative to other top white wines, in my opinion. That said, I’m very intrigued by the wines and want to learn more.

I enjoy the Cali versions from Jaffurs. Roussanne, Viognier and Grenache Blanc. Always good, great QPR’s in $20-$30 ish range. As far as aging I never held one longer than 3 years or so and they almost always improved.

You also have to distinguish between Northern and Southern Rhônes. The mix of grapes is usually different, and the geology and climate is quite different.

In the north it’s viognier or blends of marsanne and roussane, while in the south Grenache blanc is widely used, along with roussane and a bunch of other more obscure types.

Much of the vineyard land in the north is on slopes, some quite steep, while the south is generally flatter and at lower elevations.

As a result of all these factors, NR whites tend to have higher acidity. For my palate, many SR whites are heavy and flabby. Obviously, that’s a matter of personal preference. But NR and SR whites tend to be quite different.

I think these wines are an acquired taste, especially aged bottles.

When I do get itch for these types of wines I do like Jamet’s CDR Blanc. It has great weight, floral aromatics and juicy white peach fruit without the squishy/muskmelon/lanolin notes I often get from other Rhône whites. I drink it young.

Tablas Creek has a ‘white Rhône wine club’ that sends 6 bottles two times a year (no affiliation). I’ve been on it for a few years. They sell three different white blends with predominate grapes (roussanne, viognier and Grenache Blanc). Plus trying all the component grapes is interesting and fun. Grenache Blanc seems to be universally enjoyed by all.

This really helped me get over my Chardonnay obsession and get onto other whites. Life is good.

Condrieu wines are usually fascinating viognier. Tend to be more fruity, less acidic and better balanced than new world variants. I love some of the Cali viognier, but generally regard it as a hot day sipping wine. The Condrieu’s I’ve had were all multi-layered and much better wines. That said, they are pricey (but a real bargain compared to Burg’s :slight_smile: ) The last one I had was a Guigal, I believe.

We like CdP blanc and Hermitage blanc as well. Both definitely age-worthy. Sadly I always taste these one at a time. I’ll have to do a regional-horizontal some day.

Yes, I just subscribed this past week and read the article. But as always, value the collective WB experience as much as any critic!

A couple of French producers I would recommend are Villard and Guilleron (sp?). For the USA, Tablas Creek, Truchard, Stoplman to name just a few. We love them.

I love condrieu and love Villard especially. Even Villard’s base viognier wines easily last 5-10 years (generally peaking at 7). Super great QPR at that price point.

I think, like most regions, there are differences in style. I like the heftier style in both Hermitage blancs and viognier/condrieu. So its best to find your style.

Cuilleron! Yves Cuilleron.