Mother-in-Law Drops Ice Cubes in my Mouchey :(

Yep, ice cubes in a glass of Boillot Mouchere.

Family and I just drove across the US from Cali to OH in an RV to see some US parks, drop in on some family and friends, etc. First time driving an RV, will probably be my last (another story). First time seeing US Parks (Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Arches)…amaaaazeballs, will not be my last!

Packed a bunch of wine for the trip, ended in Cleveland to see my in-laws. Had one bottle left from my original mixed case across country, a 2012 Boillot Mouchere. Thought my wife and I could sneak it open on a Fri night w/out any extra eyeballs. Nope. [oops.gif]

Quick background on my in-laws, they love any and all wine that cost $5/bottle or less, preferable in a box. I have no issue with that, you drink what you like. But that aint me. Love my in-laws, I tend to bring decent wine for the holidays that everyone will enjoy. In this case my mother-in-law tracked me down, asked for a glass. Not just a pour but an Ohio pour. You know the kind that pours to the rim. [head-bang.gif] Tried to steer her toward some yellow tale in her fridge as an alternative. Nope, she wanted some of what I had, what I brought from California. Her first reaction, “Ooooh, this is nice, it’s very dry. Wish it was sweeter and colder. Let me grab some ice cubes from the freezer, throw it my glass and cool it down. “ In my head…Noooooooooooooo.

Ice cubes meet Mouchere. [swearing.gif]

One the bright side, no signs of premox. It was a great bottle, just wish I had more of it that night! Mother-in-law. For. The. Win.
boillot5.jpg
boillot2.jpg

Wait, did she throw it in your glass too or just hers?

That was my first thought too. I once had someone over who asked if she could put sugar in the wine I gave her. I was confused, so i opened a dessert wine for her. It was too sweet. Now i realize that once I’ve poured someone a glass of wine, it is theirs to do as they like. It isn’t like I’m going to drink it after they leave or something.

My MIL drinks her box wine and leaves mine alone. She used to try to mooch, but I think my wife talked to her at some point and now she stays away. Works for me. [cheers.gif]

Well, except my Dom, lol. She always bums a glass of bubbly.

Er, yeah. I’ve never ever cleaned up someone’s unfinished glass no matter what it was. Really, I mean it. [smileyvault-ban.gif]

Can’t blame her for the Dom.

I once had a friend say the exact same thing your MIL did, but he was just playing a prank on me (it worked, I was livid and he laughed his butt off). The fact that this happened to you in a non-facetious way is existentially disturbing. It would make a great scene in a comedy about wine buffs, though! You should pitch it.

I remember when my dad was gifted a bottle of Barolo by a friend (professor in Florence and former Portuguese minister). We had it for dinner when my grandmother and her boyfriend came over. He’s an 80 year old gentleman who spent most of his life selling inexpensive wine; everything about that Barolo - the color, the aromas, the mouthfeel - did not fit with his expectations, and he said he didn’t find it any good. I was pretty irked; dad opened some inexpensive Douro for him to have instead, but at the end he quietly admitted the other wine was superior. Took him half an hour to learn!

Ha, just hers!

That is a great post!

So glad the trip there pleased you.

Delicate Arch might be the most amazing thing in nature I have ever seen!

You kind heart for your mother in law is heart warming…or should I say cooling.

Cheers to you!

I shared a house with a British guy who liked to pour sprite (the soda) in with wine. To say the least he was forbidden to drink anything I had.

My mother-in-law is just plain awesome. She’s really fond of her Kendall Jackson, but always appreciates anytime I bring wine to share and try to introduce her to new wines she may enjoy. She does prefer fuller-bodied whites…but it’s so much fun to see her get excited when I leave her a wine or gift her a wine that she wouldn’t normally choose for herself. She was blown over by a bottle of Schloss Gobelsburg Grüner Veltliner Reserve Tradition that I gave her. While I know my in-laws may never value the wine in the same way that I do…what I do get is family that is really appreciative of the sharing and always engaged when I geek-out a little to “talk wine”. It’s reached a point where just the idea of picking out the wines to share is fun for me. Plus, they’re always so thoughtful and ask if they can bring me back a wine when they travel near a wine region.

Sorry, I know this is far off the OP…but to also be clear. I’ve certainly added an ice cube to a Napa Cab once or twice in the past…and I really enjoyed the wine much better once it was a little cooler.

Be thankful you have in-laws to share with. Mine don’t drink. [snort.gif]

We Ohioans are a bunch of savages. Be thankful she didn’t swig it straight from the bottle.

Not sure which is the worse insult to the wine - the ice cubes, or the use of the word “mouchey.”

:wink:

Well, she produced a child that you married, and you probably wonder sometimes how that could have happened…

My Bombay martinis distracted my MIL to the point that she really didn’t care about wine. The first one I made for her got her attention, and after a few more visits, I had carte blanche. We made a game out of what she was drinking, and she would go along with whatever I made.

Occasionally, I would cringe at other things, but not drinking.

I heard that it’s common in China, Sprite on white and Coke on red rolleyes

I went to Argentina on my honeymoon and, at a wine tasting, was told that, in the past, wine made locally was fermented in improperly sealed concrete vats. The chemicals in the concrete would leach into the wine and make it pretty unpalatable. People used to cut the bad red wine with Coca Cola to improve the taste. Many of the older generation still did that because they were used to it.

As anyone who has worked in restaurants can attest, you get a not-insignificant number of people who ask for ice cubes in their white wine and I am always happy to oblige whether it’s the cheapest BTG or something lovely and rare.

While it may produce a primal scream in your brain, just remember that this is how they enjoy it just like serving a beautiful white at the perfect temperature for the wine is how you enjoy it. If you are a good host they’ll no doubt fondly remember the evening as a wonderful time with friends and/or family. But if you lecture them, it’ll leave them colder than a Mouchey Sur La Glace.

You’re a good SIL for just wanting your MIL to enjoy herself and you can be satisfied with that*!

*not as satisfied as if you had escaped with another glass of the wine, mind you [wink.gif]

Hey now, for some reason I just like to say the word Mouchey in my head. lol

I’m lucky, she only drinks Bombay Sapphire straight from the bottle!