TN: 2014 Biggio Hamina Cellars Pinot Noir Youngberg Hill Vineyard

• 2014 Biggio Hamina Cellars Pinot Noir Youngberg Hill Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, McMinnville (6/20/2020)
    This came right after drinking my own Alicante Bouschet wine, which isn’t a a lightweight, but what was immediately apparent is how much bigger this PN was than that. I was expecting a light ethereal thing, but this is a full body PN, for sure. Cinnamon, fruit on the attack, lots and lots of spiciness on the mid and finish. I sense some strong french oak tannins throughout. A really nice wine, would pair well with something on the heavier side. Great stuff! (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks Adam. This wine is 50% whole cluster, no new oak, and a field blend of Pommard and Wadenswil planted into a mix of volcanic and marine sedimentary soils. For those of you up to speed on Youngberg Hill, it’s Natalie’s block.

• the photo is a straight up pic of the entry level WVPN which in 2014 is a mix of Youngberg Hill and Holmes Gap vineyards.

Goes to show you how bad my palate is - I was convinced there was some new oak there! Anyway, excellent wine. [oops.gif]

I tasted the YH Natalie’s Block PN at the winery last Summer, …very well made wine, will warrant cellaring …has the stuffings to go out 5-10 yrs… I previously posted on Todd’s 2014 YH PN so won’t repeat my notes other than to say I found it very Burgundian,…Did not pick up any oakiness…While I usually don’t score wines, certainly wdn’t quibble with Adam’s 91 score…

There are a handful of cases left of this wine. For me there is no summer shipping (historically), so I will be putting an offering together in September. Then just wait on the weather. Thanks for the kind words.