TN: 2014 Luis A. Rodriguez Vazquez Ribeiro Viña de Martin Escolma

• 2014 Luis A. Rodriguez Vazquez Ribeiro Viña de Martin Escolma - Spain, Galicia, Ribeiro (6/20/2020)
    First time trying this wine, and it is certainly interesting. The aromatics are enticing, with white peach fruit floating above a salty sea undertone. Where I struggle with it is on the palate. The aromas suggest that there would be some amount of fruit, but instead it’s a mineral bath, salty and bracing. It’s intellectually fascinating due to the juxtaposition of the aromatics and palate expression, but not exactly much fun. Needs oysters.

Posted from CellarTracker

Opened this last night. Similar impression as far as nose vs lack of fruit on the palate, though I think I liked it a lot more than you. What it did NOT have was any of the residual bitterness/greenness that often bothers me in these very aromatic cool climate wines (like some young albarino for example), so the whole package worked nicely for me. Was an excellent pairing with a creamy pasta with chickpea and spinach.

Never thought I’d find this note here! Luis is a family friend and I recall a lovely paella he cooked for us at his place. His little daughter, cute as a bug’s ear, ran around destroying their backyard. Great memories.

I think I would have liked my bottle a lot more with oysters or perhaps sushi. Just wasn’t in the cards at the time.

We encounter this wine regularly on yearly (except for 2020) trips to Galicia, and it is always a tasty pleasure with the food there. Not something we’d buy to bring home with us, but one we’re more than happy to drink a few of when there.

Being there probably makes the wine taste even better.

My experience with the '09 was closer to Ethan’s. Had it with the croissant/lobster bisque type dish at the now-closed Somni in LA. My experience with the '10 was a bit leaner and not quite as expressive on the palate. Maybe these need time? Definitely no green notes. I have the '12 in my cellar as well, but haven’t opened any.