TN: 1997 Vietti Masseria Barbaresco

1997 Vietti Masseria Barbaresco
Leather, mild black licorice, tobacco, saddle soap, dried herbs and cherries, soft floral notes. Tar and roses? Possibly, if you close your eyes and dial up the imagination. Nice balance. The wood has done it’s job and fully receded. The fruit is reddish and fairly tertiary with glimpses of youth. Tannins gently rub the whole way through the attack to the finish. Moderate intensity throughout. Blind you could be fooled in to thinking it might be a Burg except for the tannic persistence. You definitely want to stand this up and settle the fines. Seems to be peaking. Nice showing for a 23 year old.

RT

1 Like

Time for another bottle tonight. Mild/moderate bricking and plenty of platy sediment from cellaring. Clearer than the last go around which seemingly results (or maybe it’s my imagination) in purer flavors. Some mild tar…and floral notes along with the black licorice and dried herbs. Expressive aged fruit and more intensity than the last bottle…and a longer finish. Softened yet muscular tannins. The Nebbiolo character is more prominent than the last visit. The wine’s in a really nice spot and should complement tonight’s grilled/seared leg of lamb. It’s a challenge to slow down the pre-meal sips.

RT

Ha! I see that we are not the only ones drinking Nebbiolo in August [cheers.gif]

We had a 2018 Sandri Nebbiolo d’Alba last night with homemade pizza. I’ve liked the wine in plenty in the past, but it just felt wrong to be drinking it yesterday.

Thanks Richard. Sounds great.