TN: 2013 Clos Roche Blanche Touraine Cuvée Pif (France, Loire Valley, Touraine)

• 2013 Clos Roche Blanche Touraine Cuvée Pif - France, Loire Valley, Touraine (6/24/2020)
    great nose loaded with earth and berry. palate is tart! cranberry and underripe raspberry. this starts to soften and round out a bit with air, developing attractive leathery notes but never quite gets there. Tasty with lamb chops but as it reminds me of young 1998 Cot or young 2011 Pif both of which eventually became magical I’ll hold off on any more bottles for a few years.

Posted from CellarTracker

I opened a 2014 about a month ago. Some noticeable brett but not overpowering. This was the second of 6, and I’l be waiting another couple of years before checking in on it again.

The '11 really was a wild and crazy ride, wasn’t it?

Sorry to hear this bottle didn’t get there. Deciding when to open crb bottles is a real dilemma. I’m lucky to have a couple of the 2011 pif. No idea when I‘ll end up drinking them.

It was indeed.

Indeed. Now that there are no more to be had every one is precious. Well … more precious.

A friend who drinks more CRB than I do said in his experience all their 2010 and 2013 reds need more time currently but he was ecstatic over a 2014 Pif opened recently.

I need more friends who drink that much CRB

We all do.

Great note, Jay. This is really excellent. Your note is spot on, I’m also getting some dank undergrowth and a naughty little kiss of brett. Picked up more depth and weight after some hours open, softening some of the initial tartness, and almost a Cahors-like bit of rusticity (not a negative in my book). Finishes with a grainy texture. Had this bottle open since 2 PM, almost gone. Solo. But, I did get a workout in between, I mean, let’s be civilized here. Paired perfectly with grilled pork loin, butternut squash and grilled asparagus.

[cheers.gif]

I only just noticed that you finally had a chance to try a Clos Roche Blanche. Very happy that you enjoyed it! champagne.gif

And popped another just now rather whimsically. Just got back to town. Had some major wines last night, sweat out all the poison today during a very hot and windy 30-mile ride. I just wanted something refreshing. Damn does this wine fit the bill, so STGT, like biting into a big red apple straight from the tree. Skin, flesh, pits and all.