Lets play...I HAVE NEVER...

Ahhh…the old teenage drinkin game! hitsfan But lets make this PG…and about wine only! I know there are probably thousands of wines that you could say that you HAVE NEVER had…but just list a few that kind of surprises you at your stage of wine drinking…that you HAVE NEVER had? And if YOU HAVE…then DRINK! [drinkers.gif]

I have never…had

Petrus
Krug CdM,CdA, Rose’
Rousseau Chambertin
Scarecrow
Henri Jayer
SQN Next of Kyn
Dry wine older than 1941

Now…your turn! [cheers.gif]

1 Like

a premoxed Leflaive

Wine as a teenager. Unless wine coolers count. [bye2.gif]

Never have I ever had a SQN, Pride, Bryant Family, “insert CA big-point expensive Parkerized wine here” that I felt was worth the money. Nor worth $25 if I had to drink the wine.

I have never had anything on your list either, except Scarecrow, which is, sadly and despite the obvious generosity of those who shared it with me (on two separate occasions, if memory serves), not my preferred style of wine. Given what has become of the pricing on these, though, I can’t declare that my lack of having had any of them is surprising. Nothing comes to mind that I’m surprised I’ve never had. Maybe Heitz Martha’s. There’s one that I don’t think I’ve ever had, that I’d think I would have by now.

It is sad that there was a time that pretty much any oenophile could expect to have all or most of “THE” great wines at least once, by saving some shekels, going in with a group, etc., but that those days are in the past, and the ability for normal folks to try thinks like DRC RC or Petrus, even if just once, as part of their vinous education, is gone. Then again, it is fantastic that there’s more great wine out there than ever before.

I have never had

Barefoot or Yellowtail
Wine served from a box
Wine with an ice cube in it

Hmm, unlike Buzz’s list, I think I’ve had everything on your list. Maybe not Yellowtail, I can’t remember. My SiL likes to make mimosas with Barefoot moscato and OJ, which is a perfectly passable brunch beverage when at her house. Bonny Doon Big House Red used to come in a box (I think) and was a fine weekday quaff for the budget-minded. And I’m sure I’ve put ice in something at least once, when circumstances dictated, rare as that may be. Maybe one of those Barefoot mimosas.

I have never had:

Lafite/Latour/Margaux/Mouton (and a lesser vintage of HautBrion once)
Petrus
Cheval Blanc
Salon/vintage Krug/Bolly VVF
Yquem
DRC/Rousseau/Ponsot (and a Leroy only once, a premoxed St. Aubin white)
Montrachet from any producer
Conterno/Giacosa/Gaja Barolo or Barbaresco
Sassacaia/Ornellaia/Tignanello
Screagle/Harlan/Scarecrow/most other cult Napa cabs
Chave, Juge, Beaucastel, Rayas or Tempier

Really, I’ve never had most of the high-priced stuff regarded as the “ultimate” in the wine world. Despite all that I feel like I’ve had a pretty awesome time drinking a lot of great wine over the years. I can live with that.

Thought the game was “Never have I ever”?

Ok now for my real list, though because I haven’t had many wines I’m using broad categories. I HAVE NEVER had…

A corked bottle I have personally purchased
A Bordeaux first growth
Grand cru Burgundy
A 100 point wine (by any reviewer)
Dry wine older than 1971
Sweet wine older than 1976
Madeira or sherry

I’m out…just sayin.

Well…technically yes! [wow.gif] Been a long time since I was a teen!

Oddly in my 4ish years of drinking wine I’ve had all of those except a wine older than 1941.

I’ve never had DRC or Screagle though.

Mr. Stotter,

We have a lot to fix for you in STL…except #1.

MK

I guess you’re not the master of your domain(e).

You didn’t “slap the bag” in college? [rofl.gif] (Though I guess that would remove the box)

The wine with an ice cube one is interesting…a year ago on a very very warm day I ordered a glass of rose at an outdoor bar at a moderately nice place nearby…without asking, bartender goes “oh, this is a little warm”, drops 3 ice cubes in, and walks away…wasn’t really sure how to respond

Really intrigued to hear from the big playa’s like Fu,KShin,Weinberg,Holmes,MKelly, Favre…who seem to drink everything!

I went to Brandeis. Manischewitz and Baron Herzog doesn’t come in a bag.

I’m in! [cheers.gif]

But it probably is better on the rocks!