What’s happening at Chateau Climens?

The last vintage available of Climens is 2016, and it’s a great one - candidate for WOTY for me so far.

Since then, they’ve kinda disappeared. What’s going on there? 2017 - they lost their entire crop to frost. 2018 - they produced a wine, as Chris Kissack has detailed barrel tasting notes. But no sign of it on pre-order at any retailers, Uk or US. 2019 - ??? Jane Anson doesn’t mention it in her review of Sauternes and I’m not sure any other critics have either. I know they started producing a dry white in 2018 but it’s pretty hard to come by - a whopping 6 bottles listed in CT and no tasting notes.

Anyone have any news on them?

Envoyer just offered the dry one.

Thanks, Vince. WOTY generally or just for Sauternes? I love Sauternes but only bought reds in '16 because everyone said the vintage was just OK in Sauternes.

WOTY. Many of my favorite wines are stickies, I guess I have a sweet tooth. But it was irresistibly delicious - right up there with 2001 (that is also young, of course, but a different “young”). I have single 375s of '16 Doisy-Vedrines and Coutet, but they’re covid-inaccessible, so I haven’t tried them yet. But if you like the Climens style, I’d highly recommend picking up a half and giving it a go.

• 2016 Château Climens - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Barsac (4/10/2020)
    Packed full of thrills. Does young Sauternes get much better than this? Simultaneously broad and weightless, it’s on the more powerful side of Climens, although not super sweet. Moderate botrytis on the nose and palate, with explosive green apple/quince/mango/apricot fruit, bitter orange marmalade, mouthwatering acidity, a light touch of coconut/vanilla oak, stony minerals, white pepper and layers of complexity and a finish that goes on and on. This is a real winner and confirms why Climens is second only to Yquem in my book. (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

+1 on thread question

2019 vintage report on the website is very detailed http://www.chateau-climens.fr/contents/upload/files/2019%20harvest%20report.pdf

I was really curious about this but didn’t bite. anyone tried it before or have any good info about it?