2017 Blank Bottle 'The Misfit'

OK, the wheeze for this producer South African producer is that the wines do not tell you the grape types on the label, but you can go on their website to find out what you’re drinking.

Good thing I got the info beforehand, because otherwise I probably wouldn’t have bit on the Misfit. It’s Carignan. I think I might have guessed it but far from sure.

Medium ruby color. The aromas give me a good hint… mineral more than earthy, disjointed red fruit aromas with herbal and briary hints. My other guesses would have been cool climate Zinfandel (12.5% alcohol) or a Rhone blend.

The palate has all of the Carignan character I really enjoy, solid but not heavy, a slightly grainy texture, fruit below the mineral component but popping up after the entry and again before the finish. This is a relatively lightweight and polite version of the grape but with more than enough guts and attitude to satisfy with a stir-fry featuring local chicken and asparagus. My dish used enough sesame oil to taste and this bottle was a perfect foil for that flavor component. Rated 88.5.

Dan Kravitz