What is the meaning of your wine hobby?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Stas Medvedev
GCC Member
GCC Member

What is the meaning of your wine hobby?

#1 Post by Stas Medvedev » June 25th, 2020, 6:39 am

I am doing research for my new articles and will highly appreciate for your self reflection on the subject.

Can you please elaborate on what do you see as the purpose of your wine hobby/passion?
Amateur wine enthusiast. Interested in theory and enjoy practice. Daily tasting notes

Follow me on Instagram

ITB - Founder of the wine club for non-professionals (WineTalks.club)

Tomás Costa

Re: What is the meaning of your wine hobby?

#2 Post by Tomás Costa » June 25th, 2020, 6:52 am

I see wine as a mixture of art and geography in a consumable manner, making it both hedonistic and intellectual. As a hobby that makes it very complete.
IG: tomascosta6524

Markus S

#3 Post by Markus S » June 25th, 2020, 7:34 am

I can say it has been a lot of money that could have been spent elsewhere on healthier, more productive things, but there is that mixing of food-geography-and pleasure that Tomas has pointed out.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Brian Gilp

#4 Post by Brian Gilp » June 25th, 2020, 7:47 am

Ever evolving it has been different things at different times. It’s a memory of a special event, history of time and place, science but with a touch of art. It is a puzzle of tastes and smells. It reports on the weather of the vintage and sometimes more (fires, hurricanes, and squirrels to name three). It’s friendship and sometimes sorrow.

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Cris Whetstone » June 25th, 2020, 7:48 am

Every bottle is an experience.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Gabe Berk

#6 Post by Gabe Berk » June 25th, 2020, 7:50 am

Drinking something really tasty from places near and far. [cheers.gif]

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » June 25th, 2020, 8:12 am

Stas Medvedev wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 6:39 am
I am doing research for my new articles and will highly appreciate for your self reflection on the subject.

Can you please elaborate on what do you see as the purpose of your wine hobby/passion?
Use of the word “purpose” seems inapposite to what wine appreciation is. I will concede some folks engage in it with an endgame in mind - amassing collections, auctions, sales, etc. Mine grew far more organically, started with family and evolved with friends, with wine being part of what brought us all together in pure enjoyment. The more I experimented, the more I embraced both the intellectual and artistic side of the passion, learning as I went. It has been all about the journey with no endgame at all. It is a passion based purely on pleasure. And it has introduced me to a world of friends, many of whom have become life-long friends.
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

Victor Hong

#8 Post by Victor Hong » June 25th, 2020, 8:13 am

Wine collecting is defined as the interactive confluence of Obsessive-Compulsive, Hoarding, and Affluenza disorders.
WineHunter.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » June 25th, 2020, 8:26 am

Victor Hong wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 8:13 am
Wine collecting is defined as the interactive confluence of Obsessive-Compulsive, Hoarding, and Affluenza disorders.

OCHAD!

AndyK
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by AndyK » June 25th, 2020, 9:24 am

Stas Medvedev wrote:

To make the world a better place
k0berl

2020 WOTY Candidates
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard
NV Krug Champagne Brut Rosé 18éme
2007 Marcel Juge Cornas

Victor Hong

#11 Post by Victor Hong » June 25th, 2020, 9:36 am

Stas Medvedev wrote:

To promote civil, and uncivil, discourse. Wine helps with the latter.
WineHunter.

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by mike pobega » June 25th, 2020, 9:40 am

Stamps: hobby
Coins: hobby
Wine: lifestyle

I use wine for joy and as I do so I deplete it. If I used my 1930 Zeppelin stamps and spent my 1885 Silver dollars there'd be no joy and it would all seem so..... senseless.
Luckily there are many outlets to replenish my wine and I must say, that act of the hunt itself does bring joy. So maybe I have no clue and will shut up now.
Lol

S teve R edenbaugh
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by S teve R edenbaugh » June 25th, 2020, 9:58 am

Nicely phrased Mike...joy is a perfect descriptor. And joy is best shared with those you love. Wine for me scratches so many itches...intellectually and esthetically. And it even harkens back to the shared communal experience of rolling and sharing a joint--an act of fellowship/community/worship. And finally to quote one of my favorite movies..."it tastes so f*ck good."

Paul Flynn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Paul Flynn » June 25th, 2020, 10:02 am

I was very geeky about wine for many years. It helped me build a cellar full of wines that I like/love. I'm now in the enjoyment phase. I don't obsess about it. I just enjoy pulling out good to great bottles to enjoy with my wife, and sometime in the future again, friends and family.
Paul

“I have to have the most expensive thing, not because it’s the most expensive but because it costs more”

Cordelia Chase

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Dennis Borczon » June 25th, 2020, 10:08 am

It is traveling to a different time and place, usually a much more beautiful one, without leaving your armchair.

Lately it is also escaping all the idiotic "news."

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Jeff_M. » June 25th, 2020, 10:58 am

Right now? Absolute insanity. We're all just trying to catch that perfect bottle(s) and the evolution of the wine while we store it and wait for a drinking window.

When we aren't dealing with COVID-19, its about traveling to the regions and tasting the variations of grapes, the styles and pairing with great food.

Sharing with friends and family is the pinnacle of drinking wine.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by AD Northup » June 25th, 2020, 12:14 pm

A number of things for me:

- an activity where I will always be able to learn or experience something new
- a way to connect socially with other like minded people
- cellaring wine for the future builds anticipation and something to be excited about
- provides an excuse to travel to certain places (that I would travel anyway, however, can create a lovely trip when combined with historical and cultural tourism)
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (#1)
1954 Fontanafredda Barbaresco
2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

Ryan Haskett

#18 Post by Ryan Haskett » June 25th, 2020, 1:01 pm

Besides tasting amazing, the main appeal for me is the sense of connection that wine gives. Wine connects me to the place where it was made, and with the people who made it. It is a way of experiencing different cultures and traveling to different places without having to leave my house. Not to mention the great people that I've met through mutual interest and the pleasure of sharing great wine together.

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » June 25th, 2020, 1:08 pm

Several things for me as well, some reiterated from above:

- Lets me socialize with others who share a common passion and thirst (no pun intended) for knowledge
- Allows me to better connect to the history and culture of the regions whose wines I buy
- To train myself to objectively evaluate a wine for quality and in the art of delayed gratification
- To leave some sort of legacy to future children (if we have any), should we be so fortunate to share the same hobby
CT: rieslinghoarder

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

Michael S. Monie

#20 Post by Michael S. Monie » June 25th, 2020, 1:19 pm

Mu
Hubris Gravitas

"Why so unforgiving? And why so cold? Been a long time crossing, Bridge of Sighs." Robin Trower

Ken B r o w n

#21 Post by Ken B r o w n » June 25th, 2020, 8:30 pm

Victor Hong wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 8:13 am
Winotaku

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Wes Barton » June 25th, 2020, 10:43 pm

Wine is as diverse, exciting, compelling, soulful and so forth as music. "What is the meaning of your music hobby?" That's an absurd question. After we're born and take our first breaths, what is the meaning of our breathing hobby?
ITB - Useless lackey

Can't stand bloody wax capsules.

Stas Medvedev
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Stas Medvedev » June 26th, 2020, 12:03 am

Wes Barton wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 10:43 pm
Wine is as diverse, exciting, compelling, soulful and so forth as music. "What is the meaning of your music hobby?" That's an absurd question. After we're born and take our first breaths, what is the meaning of our breathing hobby?
Please don't be defensive trying to devalue it. You're scratching the surface now. There must be a deeper meaning why are you so much into wine. What fuels your engine here? What is the purpose of your passion? Which specific goal you are trying to achieve with it?

There might be as many answers as there are people in wine. Would be interesting to hear yours.

And as for breathing, that might be the survival which is the purpose.
Amateur wine enthusiast. Interested in theory and enjoy practice. Daily tasting notes

Follow me on Instagram

Albert_H

#24 Post by Albert_H » June 26th, 2020, 12:21 am

for me its...

1. Learning about the different wine regions, the history and the producers
2. I love tasting wine (I actually dislike the intoxication)
3. Amassing a killer collection of wines for the future as well as some for my kids, if I ever get married.
4. I also enjoy opening and sharing wines with my friends hoping some of them will eventually share my passion. Sadly that has yet to happen.
Han

Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Julian Marshall » June 26th, 2020, 1:28 am

When I moved to SW France in the 80s, I wasn't really a wine drinker, so it was about understanding the local culture since Bordeaux and Madiran were being produced an hour's drive away. In the local supermarkets I was faced with a wall of wine about which I hadn't a clue - so I learnt. I got hooked immediately by the taste, the mouthfeel, the effortless class of mature Bordeaux, but also the incredible variety of tastes from one appellation to another. Little by little I learnt about the history, the changing traditions, and the importance of terroir combined with winemaking ability. Things got spoiled by a well-meaning but over-bearing wine critic, along with the increased focus on the region that he created, leading to a spiral of higher prices, uniform taste, too much oak and alcohol, etc. So I branched out into other regions instead.

Wine is a passion, a never-ending discovery of new tastes - which is the big difference with beer or spirits, for example: you never know what you're going to get when you open a bottle of wine, because it is alive, it evolves, it changes, sometimes for better sometimes for worse. The unpredictability can be incredibly frustrating, but incredibly rewarding. Forty years ago wine critics didn't exist - today, we all like to know whether a bottle is going to be good or bad - but whether we read a magazine or fellow amateurs' notes on CT, it's just as futile - because not only does wine change, but we all have different palates. And those palates change. "One size fits all" is a fundamental misunderstanding of what wine is about - it's not Gordon's Gin or Jim Beam.

So it can be a minefield, but one thing has changed for the better over the last forty years - wine is much better made than before. Winemaking fads and fashions can be irritating, but the number of really bad bottles has never been lower.

Increased demand and prices has led to the opening-up of new regions all over the world, with new tastes and new traditions, and even in the Old World, climate change (despite its long-term perils) has re-opened regions which had stopped producing wine in the Middle Ages. Well-established regions are enjoying a new lease of life - the Loire, for example, has never enjoyed such a run of fine vintages as it has since 2014.

So all in all, there has never been a better time to enjoy wine. My wine hobby has been one of the most enjoyable aspects of my life and I hope that I succeed in passing the baton to my children (along with a few bottles!).

Stas Medvedev
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Stas Medvedev » June 26th, 2020, 6:46 am

Julian Marshall wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 1:28 am
When I moved to SW France in the 80s, I wasn't really a wine drinker, so it was about understanding the local culture since Bordeaux and Madiran were being produced an hour's drive away. In the local supermarkets I was faced with a wall of wine about which I hadn't a clue - so I learnt. I got hooked immediately by the taste, the mouthfeel, the effortless class of mature Bordeaux, but also the incredible variety of tastes from one appellation to another. Little by little I learnt about the history, the changing traditions, and the importance of terroir combined with winemaking ability. Things got spoiled by a well-meaning but over-bearing wine critic, along with the increased focus on the region that he created, leading to a spiral of higher prices, uniform taste, too much oak and alcohol, etc. So I branched out into other regions instead.

Wine is a passion, a never-ending discovery of new tastes - which is the big difference with beer or spirits, for example: you never know what you're going to get when you open a bottle of wine, because it is alive, it evolves, it changes, sometimes for better sometimes for worse. The unpredictability can be incredibly frustrating, but incredibly rewarding. Forty years ago wine critics didn't exist - today, we all like to know whether a bottle is going to be good or bad - but whether we read a magazine or fellow amateurs' notes on CT, it's just as futile - because not only does wine change, but we all have different palates. And those palates change. "One size fits all" is a fundamental misunderstanding of what wine is about - it's not Gordon's Gin or Jim Beam.

So it can be a minefield, but one thing has changed for the better over the last forty years - wine is much better made than before. Winemaking fads and fashions can be irritating, but the number of really bad bottles has never been lower.

Increased demand and prices has led to the opening-up of new regions all over the world, with new tastes and new traditions, and even in the Old World, climate change (despite its long-term perils) has re-opened regions which had stopped producing wine in the Middle Ages. Well-established regions are enjoying a new lease of life - the Loire, for example, has never enjoyed such a run of fine vintages as it has since 2014.

So all in all, there has never been a better time to enjoy wine. My wine hobby has been one of the most enjoyable aspects of my life and I hope that I succeed in passing the baton to my children (along with a few bottles!).
Thank you Julian for sharing your personal story. I find it fascinating and fully agree with what you have just said. That resonates with me a lot.

Follow me on Instagram

Yao C

#27 Post by Yao C » June 26th, 2020, 7:04 am

I like to have long, slow dinners with friends where we enjoy deeply a few wines. Wines are keys into these memories that I make with people I care about. Scientists talk about how the smell is tied into the hippocampus, which is the seat of memory in the brain, and the smell of a certain wines will summon for me the memory of certain friends. Sometimes there will be unexpected associations and accords, which I value. Ultimately the wines are not so much the point, as the means to a pleasurable end. Hope this helps :)
C h 0 o n 6

John Kight

#28 Post by John Kight » June 26th, 2020, 7:59 am

Cris Whetstone wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 7:48 am
This...and every unopened bottle is a future experience, to be anticipated, and each with an element of mystery and chance about it ("like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're going to get"). Then there is an element of "solving a puzzle" in terms of trying to gauge the right bottle to open at the right time, with the right food, the right people and you're personal mood.
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 8:12 am
Stas Medvedev wrote:
Use of the word “purpose” seems inapposite to what wine appreciation is.
I think appreciation, pleasure and enjoyment are perfectly legitimate "purposes" for someone to do something. When I go on vacation, I do so for the "purpose" of relaxing, enjoying, having fun, and with respect to some vacations for the "purpose" of having no purpose (other than enjoying).

Larry Link
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Larry Link » June 26th, 2020, 9:13 am

I’m in it for the buzz.

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Wes Barton » June 26th, 2020, 1:59 pm

Stas Medvedev wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 12:03 am
Wes Barton wrote:
Please don't be defensive trying to devalue it. You're scratching the surface now. There must be a deeper meaning why are you so much into wine. What fuels your engine here? What is the purpose of your passion? Which specific goal you are trying to achieve with it?

There might be as many answers as there are people in wine. Would be interesting to hear yours.

Thus my analogy to music. Think about it more. It's pretty clear with your snarky response you haven't (and you're the one being defensive of your absurdly phrased question here.)
ITB - Useless lackey

Can't stand bloody wax capsules.

Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Chris Blum » June 26th, 2020, 2:25 pm

I use it to meet chicks
"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by scamhi » June 26th, 2020, 4:25 pm

Chris Blum wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 2:25 pm
I use it to meat chicks
Huh?
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Stas Medvedev
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Stas Medvedev » June 26th, 2020, 10:15 pm

Wes Barton wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 1:59 pm
Stas Medvedev wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 12:03 am
Wes Barton wrote:

Thus my analogy to music. Think about it more. It's pretty clear with your snarky response you haven't (and you're the one being defensive of your absurdly phrased question here.)
I didn't mean to be snarky here. My apologies if it felt this way. I sensed you were judging when calling my question an absurd one. It seems like you didn't understand the question and I tried to expand.
I take your analogy with music, that's fine.

I felt like you were denying that music (wine) as a hobby might have a meaning. Would you consider such hobby meaningless? Just following your advice and trying to think about it more.

Follow me on Instagram

Rudi Finkler

#34 Post by Rudi Finkler » June 27th, 2020, 8:05 am

Stas, for me, fine wine is an elixir, a gift from the gods to make human existence more endurable, comfortable, richer on experience, and longer… :-)
Rudi - The Bordeauxphile

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." Francis Bacon

Scott G r u n e r

#35 Post by Scott G r u n e r » June 27th, 2020, 8:50 am

I like wine, especially aged wine.

or

A wine cellar is a sophisticated alcoholic’s way of protecting their supply of alcohol

take your pick, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar
//Cynic

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Brian Tuite » June 27th, 2020, 9:18 am

For me it has been the joy of meeting and building friendships with a ton of great people who share the same “hobby” or who partake in the production and sales side of the industry.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Ben M a n d l e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Ben M a n d l e r » June 27th, 2020, 9:51 am

I turned my wine hobby into my wine career because it combined the following things that I love:
1. Nature
2. History
3. Art
4. Science
5. Working with my hands to create something

There are very few things in this world that incorporate all of the above so well.
ITB

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Anton D » June 28th, 2020, 10:45 am

Wine is a pleasant diversion for me.

If I feel like getting buzzed, wine is there for me and is easy to titrate.

If I want to feel like a discerning oenophile, I can head down the geeky path.

If I feel like conversation, but not about anything really important, I can chat about wine. Or, if I don't want to have any conversation at all, I can start talking about how the current vintage of whatever is being drunk compares to all the other vintages of that wine and who made it and how much time it spends on oak, etc... [cheers.gif]

If I have too much money on hand, wine helps with that, too. If I have too little money on hand, my cellar helps with that. (I'm basically a Fabulous Fury Freak Brother.)

It's big fun, but not necessary or having essential 'meaning' to me. It ranks behind friends and family and my Hi Fi; but ahead of beer, spirits, other substances, and it may barely outrank margaritas, mai tais, and pina coladas. pileon

Wine is a good mascot for having fun, but not necessary to have fun, if that makes sense. It's like that BASF commercial: wine doesn't make dinner (usually,) it makes dinner better, so to speak. Wine doesn't make people, it makes people seem more interesting. It doesn't make the party, it makes the party better, sometimes.

Not a necessity, but a greatly appreciated luxury - a diversion from the work a day world.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 » June 28th, 2020, 11:09 am

Cris Whetstone wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 7:48 am
Succinct and simple, well put. I enjoy experiences exploring my own tastes and perceptions as well as social interactions with others.

Every bottle offers a new and unique experience in that regard.
Time Person of the Year - 2006

GregT

#40 Post by GregT » June 28th, 2020, 11:40 am

No meaning and no purpose

I agree with Wes, the question is strange.

I like wine. So I drink it. That's all.

I like to read. I like chocolate. I like to garden. I like to travel. I like to visit friends. No deeper meaning to any of those either.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Anton D » June 28th, 2020, 11:43 am

GregT wrote:
June 28th, 2020, 11:40 am

I like to read. I like chocolate. I like to garden. I like to travel. I like to visit friends. No deeper meaning to any of those either.
Maybe it all adds up to deeper meaning.

[drinkers.gif]
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

YLee

#42 Post by YLee » June 28th, 2020, 11:44 am

GregT wrote:

+1
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Brian Tuite » June 28th, 2020, 5:41 pm

GregT wrote:

That’s deep man.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » June 28th, 2020, 6:10 pm

GregT wrote:

Greg could be the Roger Scruton of the wine boards.

“I drink, therefore I am.”

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Greg K » June 28th, 2020, 6:32 pm

There are different aspects of wine I enjoy in different ways (social, intellectual, pleasure, travel), but there’s no “meaning” to it any more than there is to my interest in watching 22 men on tv kick a ball around a grass field every weekend.
Greg Kahn

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Greg K » June 28th, 2020, 6:32 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
June 28th, 2020, 6:10 pm
GregT wrote:

Greg could be the Roger Scruton of the wine boards.

“I drink, therefore I am.”
I rather think Greg is whether or not he drinks, is his point. :)
Greg Kahn

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by lleichtman » June 28th, 2020, 6:34 pm

mike pobega wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 9:40 am
Stamps: hobby
Coins: hobby
Wine: lifestyle

I use wine for joy and as I do so I deplete it. If I used my 1930 Zeppelin stamps and spent my 1885 Silver dollars there'd be no joy and it would all seem so..... senseless.
Luckily there are many outlets to replenish my wine and I must say, that act of the hunt itself does bring joy. So maybe I have no clue and will shut up now.
Lol
+1. You are correct Mike
Lawrence G. Leichtman

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Anton D » June 28th, 2020, 6:35 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
June 28th, 2020, 5:41 pm
GregT wrote:

That’s deep man.
Yeah, I can see it now

The distant red neon shivered in the heat

Greg was feeling like a stranger in a strange land

You know where people play games with the night

God, it was too hot to sleep

He followed the sound of a jukebox coming from up the levee

All of a sudden he could hear somebody whistling

From right behind him

Greg turned around and she said

"Why do you always end up down at Wine Berserkers?"

He said "I don't know, the wind just kind of pushed me this way. No meaning and no purpose. I like wine. So I drink it. That's all.

I like to read. I like chocolate. I like to garden. I like to travel. I like to visit friends. No deeper meaning to any of those either.“

She said "You’re such an oenihilist."
Anton Dotson

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Cris Whetstone » June 28th, 2020, 7:23 pm

Anton D wrote:
June 28th, 2020, 6:35 pm
Brian Tuite wrote:
June 28th, 2020, 5:41 pm
GregT wrote:

That’s deep man.
Yeah, I can see it now

The distant red neon shivered in the heat

Greg was feeling like a stranger in a strange land

You know where people play games with the night

God, it was too hot to sleep

He followed the sound of a jukebox coming from up the levee

All of a sudden he could hear somebody whistling

From right behind him

Greg turned around and she said

"Why do you always end up down at Wine Berserkers?"

He said "I don't know, the wind just kind of pushed me this way. No meaning and no purpose. I like wine. So I drink it. That's all.

I like to read. I like chocolate. I like to garden. I like to travel. I like to visit friends. No deeper meaning to any of those either.“

She said "You’re such an oenihilist."
[thumbs-up.gif]

Somewhere down that crazy river? [wink.gif]
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Randy Bowman » June 28th, 2020, 7:28 pm

The hobby turned into a business, meaning it's my turn to pick what we are drinking with dinner tonight. Menu this evening, Chinese.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Return to “Wine Talk”