2016 Shafer Hillside Select Offer

Just got the email from Shafer this morning. Priced at $300 and $625 for 750ml and magnum, respectively.

Bottle limit is 12 for the standard 750ml, one for magnum.

Anyone else onboard? AG’s review of this wine was pretty epic and helped me pull the trigger this morning. Order in! [dance2.gif]

Price is down $10 per bottle but I am going to hold off. I think I can do better using a $100 off $300 wine.com code and get this for closer to $200 per with free shipping. I don’t see Shafer selling out of HSS in this economy.

That has worked for me as well in the past, have picked up recent vintages for about $220, but this is a WA AND Vinous Hundo. The 2012 and 2010 HS Hundos are selling for over $300 W-S. I would think these will be .97s on wine.com.

Was at a high school sports booster crab feed/auction in January. One of the items was a magnum of HSS 2015. Winning bid was $150?!!! Kicked myself in the butt for not seeing it earlier. The parents were much more knowledgeable about circle change ups and weak side defense than wine. [wow.gif]

Okay for those that were around for the 2010 and 2012, does it sell out during the offer period? Sharing of buying strategies would be helpful as well. Do you load up on the special years and then dial down on the other years to just a few bottles. Thoughts about 2016 to 2019 vintages? 2012 and 2013 were both pretty years, then 14-15 were still good ones too.

That would be a bummer if they did slap the bottles with .97 instead of .99 so we can use the codes. I guess I would just fully pass on the wine if that is the case. Even with a double 100 score I truly don’t see this wine selling out at $300 a bottle in this economy. I’ve routinely seen HSS at Costco in NorCal for sale.

They lost me after the release price passed $250. There are a lot of great wines out there that cost less.

I have heard this wine is great, but it is too pricey for me. Instead I bought a few bottles of the 2016 One Point Five. A good vintage and the first vintage of this with 100% Cabernet Sauvignon. I have previously tasted only the 2004 One Point Five which was wonderful I thought. I can only imagine what the Hillside Select must be like!

I bought 2008-2010, but then like others, dropped them after they got too expensive. They will sell out, but there’s plenty of inventory of past vintages available. For example, I paid $266 for the 2008 which you can now purchase for $250.

I like the One Point Five.

Wine.com has the Hillside Select at 309.99 shipping to MD.

What exactly does this mean?

I know I will be in for between 1 and 6 bottles but have a month to decide I guess. Did anybody actually review this vintage?

Wines ending in $0.97 are excluded from all the juicy wine.com deals that they run.

The .97 on wine.com means the price ends in .97 and coupons don’t apply, like $399.97. Wine Advocate’s Lisa Perrotti-Brown and Vinous Antonio Galloni gave the '16 100 points. Don’t know about Jeb Dunnuck but he’s usually a few points higher so probably 102 :wink:

If they don’t put .97 on the '16 you might still be able to get a better deal on singles even with the wine.com markup since it seems unlikely they’d mark it up over $400. You never know though, the 2010 is on there for $450.

This is definitely at the edge of my comfort level…

I found it interesting that I got an offer today but have never purchased a single bottle from them.

Thanks Philip. That was a great explanation.

I was buying for many years retail. I got on the list in 2001 and purchased every year until last year. I thought I had enough.
When I didn’t buy the 2015 I thought I was done. However with the price drop and 100 point rating I think I will buy 6 with the $1 shipping. Always loved the wine and great people also.

A few years ago we visited with my daughter. Even though you are only allowed one extra they made an exception for my daughter.
A terrific tasting!
Love the wine and the family.

Is this the first time a CA cab has a price drop?

[popcorn.gif]