2012 Rhys Chardonnay ‘Horseshoe Vineyard’ - headed for perfect?

From 375ml

Not merely wonderful as always, better than ever!

Light gold color, looks 3 years old, not 8. The aromas are broad and wonderful, mineral, citric, coniferous, floral, about in that order but all so prominent that it’s hard to put one first and so harmonious that they are seamless.
The palate is less broad, but needle-bright, sharp with integrated fresh acidity, the same flavors, the conifer and flowers to the forefront, the citrus flavors in the background despite the brilliant acidity. Breadth as well as depth show in the mid-palate, the balance is incredible. The finish is long, but will probably get longer as this is still young and barely past primary.
I think that every time I’ve had this when I’ve taken time to write a note, I’ve rated it higher than the last time. Also, every time I’ve rated it, I’ve given it room for improvement. How true today! Rated 96, at least two points of improvement very likely. Of course with no track record it’s impossible to predict where it will go, but I believe perfection is possible in another five years.

Dan Kravitz

I tasted and reported on the '15 yesterday Dan - TN: 2015 Rhys Chardonnay Horseshoe Vineyard - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers and yes, it is fabulous. I’m of a mind that SCM (Rhys, Mount Eden, Ridge) make some of, if not the best Chardonnay - anywhere.

I tasted it back early 2018 and thought excellent. My comment was to let my magnum go for five years before opening. It wasn’t that I thought it wasn’t ready, but that it could further improve.

Thanks for the note Dan. I love the 2012 Horseshoe Chard, it is my favorite Chard that Rhys has ever made…luckily I have 3 bottles left in my cellar. After reading your note, I think I will let my remaining bottles sit for a bit.

Thanks Dan. I just checked my order history and found that I originally ordered 2 and wish listed, successfully, 2 more. Time to pop one.

This wine is killer. I last had it in April and scored it 96 points. I have 3 bottles left in storage and will not open another bottle for a few more years.

This is the wine that prevented me from completely abandoning Rhys Chardonnays. We had our last bottle of the '10 a couple nights ago ---- very good, but not even close to the same level as the '12. Thanks for the note, Dan!

Is it oaky and buttery?

Not at all oaky or buttery, IMO.

Checked my past orders and I have a 12 pack of 500ml of this along with a mag and a 3 liter. Time to dig some out!

Thanks for the notes

You hit the lottery. Prepare to be wowed!

Thanks for the feedback from everybody.

I bought all of mine in 375ml and am regretting it. To have a magnum or a 3L!?! Of course I use large formats mostly for treats at my national sales meetings, of which I do not expect one this year and maybe not next year. But still, I would love to have and hold even 750ml bottles. I would hold a mag at least another five years and find a very, very special occasion to open it.

I only had the 2010 once, from memory I agree that the 2012 is better, but don’t remember a night-and-day difference. This is consistently great wine.

to Adam Frisch, you wrote:
“Is it oaky and buttery?”
I’m a little bewildered by your question.
In rereading my note, I do not see that I mentioned either oak or butter.
Please rest assured, Mr. Frisch, that if I find oak or butter aromas or flavors in a wine, I make mention of the fact, as is only logical for a board member, especially one who is in the business.

Dan Kravitz

Dan - I have a magnum left. When we finally get clear of Covid, let’s do our long promised Boston Rhys dinner and I will crack it open…

Jud,

We’re on!!! And many thanks. I’ve got some Rhys (and Alesia) to contribute, 2012, and earlier, and later.

Always a fan of gallows humor, we should optimistically pencil in about 2025 for this event.

1. The mag of 2012 Rhys Horseshoe Chardonnay should be reasonably mature.
  2. We have a reasonable chance of being clear of COVID by then.

Dan Kravitz

:+1:

2012 Rhys Chardonnay Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (4/11/2021)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 2 to 3 hours –

NOSE: rich and buttery with a background herbal element.

BODY: medium golden yellow color; medium bodied.

TASTE: rich, but not heavy; medium-strong fruit flavor with pleasant supporting saline note; high acidity; popcorn; white grapefruit; rich and salty/umami; 13.1% alc. not noticeable. I grabbed this bottle, in part, because it had a slightly pushed cork. The cork was pretty spongy upon removal. My fears of an advanced wine were quickly dashed: this was utterly stunning, and may be the best Rhys Chardonnay I’ve had (pretty sure I felt the same way when I opened my first bottle back in 2015). No need to drink now, but I highly recommend it, anyways, especially for folks with more than one bottle.

50, 5, 12, 19, 10 = (96 pts.)

1 Like

Great note Brian. I had one back in December just like this. And as Dan noted earlier, every time I pop one of these it’s better than the previous. And the previous was pretty damn good.

Glad to see it’s holding its own! 96 seems to be a popular score. I’m into hoarding my remaining 375s.

to Brian: I’ve never noticed anything buttery about this wine, but will look for it when I open my next one (not anytime soon).

Jud, it looks like we might be able to plan a Boston area OL before 2025!?!!! Let’s maybe look at October or November? I still have older and younger Rhys than 2012 Horseshoe, both red and white. Please let me know what you think.

Dan Kravitz

Buttery on the Nose, only, Dan — for me. The Nose had me set-up for relative disappointment, but the Palate made up for it, and then some. :slight_smile:

Dan - would love to. October looks quite open at the moment, let’s pick a date and I will see if we can get some of the Boston wino’s to join us.

1 Like