TN: 1991 Heitz Cellar Cabernet Sauvignon Trailside Vineyard

So…been craving for a Heitz the last couple days, and now that I’m finally off from work, went into the cellar looking for a bottle. Happen to pull out the etched bottle that my best friends wife had given me a few years ago after he had passed, and noticed the date of his passing…6-29-2015! I hadn’t remembered the exact date, but kind of knew it was close. Amazing how things happen…so…5yrs ago to the day, when my best friend was taken from us way too early…a really special bottle is in need…his favorite wine, as well as one of my all-time favorites too. Enjoying this while listening to some Bruce…and thinking about my buddy! [cheers.gif]

• 1991 Heitz Cellar Cabernet Sauvignon Trailside Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford (6/29/2020)
    One of my all-time wines…never disappoints, and is always a true pleasure to open one! Still quite dark and youthful in color…absolute KILLER nose of berry liqueur, leather, dusty old wine cellar, cedar, dried herbs…bayleaf, mint. Silky smooth in the mouth…juicy and perfectly balanced sweetness to dryness…blackberry, currants, plum, black cherry…framed in solid structure of dusty dry plush tannins, oak barrel spice, some tart cherry skin acidity for lift. Really drinks young…blind maybe a 10yr old…showing some subtle aged notes of walnut oil, leather, rich compost, dried herbs. Finishes long, smooth, well integrated…spice and classic Heitz herbalness…just a FANTASTIC wine, with a lot of great memories attached! RIP JT. (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Great story, great tasting note, and great picture! Thanks for resetting the world(at least mine).

So sorry that your friend died young.

All the Feels… Vintage Heitz is just so good. Worthy of the moment.

The story behind the wine is often as important as what’s in the glass. Real friendship and warm memories sustain us.

Great story and glad you think of your friend often. Condolences that he was taken too soon. Aged Heitz Trailside is usually great. Your tasting notes are spot on for all the notes I usually get out of Trailside, except so well stated. I recently had a 2010 that was youthful but a pleasure to drink. Thanks for the post.

1991 is really a great vintage in California based on the wines I have had from it such as Ridge Montebello, Chateau Montelena and Togni.

I owned 6 bottles of this Trailside bought after release. Drank my last bottle with Panos and others 2 years ago. Lovely wine indeed. The price was fair. A fault that I did not buy more.

Thanks for the great note and condolence to your friend. How does Trailside compare to Martha’s? I know it’s priced lower than Martha, but was curious how it stands up against it. Also, has anyone tasted their regular bottling of the same vintage? Have one that I’ve kept and been wondering how it shows.

Thanks for sharing Brian. You inspired me to buy the 1 bottle i found available in US

Would love to hear your impressions! Still gorgeous day two! More coffee and dried bayleaf intermingle with the dark berry fruits. SO youthful! Yum