RIP Tony Terlato

Oh no - a Chicago legend. RIP

1 Like

Such a shame. Hell of a guy. Can’t think of anyone who did more for wine in this city.

2 Likes

I was working in Chicago - circa 1984 at the Sandburg Wine Cellar at Clark and North. The owners were the notorious Potash brothers, who weren’t too fond of anybody really, but really had it out for anyone Italian. One day Tony Terlato came in with a couple guys from Sicily to do a presentation. At the end of the presentation, he said very convincingly in that classic Chicago Italian accent; “Tomaso, Ima going to give you a couple cases of Regaleali, you are going to put it ona the shelf and sell it for $7 a bottle. When it sells out, you-a call me and we will make a deal.” I thought, sure, can’t lose there…

Well let’s just say I got called down to the office of the Potash boys, and got a good tongue woopin’. “Those guys are gangsters! You refuse that wine when it comes in and never let those mobsters in the store again!” Ok boss…

It was something to watch Tony just grab Chicago by the balls (and the country for that matter) with Santa Margharita Pinot Grigio back then. And watching him aggressively go after every great, high selling winery available…and get them. He was a marvel.

2 Likes

Tony was a very dear friend, we started working with Paterno (now Terlato) back in 2004. Over the years we spent lots of time together, just the two of us, just sitting and chatting about the business of wine. Tony and I were 25 years apart in age but he was always interested in what I had to say and he always made time for me, I find the ability to listen normally gets harder as people get older but not with Tony.

I would describe Tony, as having a rare fire in his belly, he was out to prove himself to the world each and every day, many might have not liked his approached but from my perspective it had and should have been admired………when he looked at you, he really looked at you (also rare) and his eyes were more like lasers on you than eyeballs. He also had one of the best bullshit meters I have ever seen.

I feel sorry that the wine world has changed so dramatically, in the early days it was all done of trust, a hand shake and long built friendships, now it’s all Nielsen data, sales and inventory reports and buyers that don’t even taste the products they sell.

My favourite times with Tony were when we sit down with a few good bottles and he’d tell great stories about the old times, how life was back in the day and how business was done and his many relationships were formed.

I will miss Tony and I always felt he and I were kindred spirits, completely different in so many ways but then so similar in number of others.

Most people become legends once they die but Tony was a living, breathing legend, I will miss him

MT

3 Likes

RIP. I never met the man, but I have a great deal of respect for the company because when the Diageo portfolio was dissolved, the labels Terlato picked up- including Ramonet- continued to be distributed in large measure to existing networks. They were the one company that really seemed to care about honoring those loyalties- and I will be forever appreciative.

That kind of honorable mentality comes from the top.

2 Likes

To all who so kindly posted to this thread,
Firstly my apologies to all for not commenting sooner. Unfortunately I haven’t been participating in Wine Berserkers threads as often as I should.

I thank you all for sharing your kind thoughts on my fathers passing. He was an extraordinary man, but then again, I admit my bias as he was my father, mentor and friend.

Tony lived by a certain set of values, which he readily and vociferously shared with his family and close friends and which were etched in stone. From these values, he didn’t deviate. I had the incredible good fortune to have lived with and learned from this man, who was kind, thoughtful, caring loving, curious, intensely focused and generous, while at the same time being a diligent taskmaster. He asked for and expected much from those he loved, admired and respected. He was also loyal, trustworthy and authentic. His word was his bond and when he shook your hand or made a promise, it was as good as gold. Old school in the very best iteration of old school.

Brainstorming with him was like drinking from a fire hose, but after a while I got used to it and drank as much as I could. It was all good - no stone unturned and he set a fast pace. I loved it.

A special thank you to Michael Twelftree. You really nailed his persona in your comments. I know you know this…he deeply and truly valued your friendship and he especially enjoyed your conversations - honest, candid, challenging, insightful and provocative. He further enjoyed your readiness and willingness to fearlessly engage. You were correct on so many levels - he had a laser-like focus, a fire in his belly, would never accept the status quo as anywhere near acceptable and he aspired to be the best in all his endeavors. The man was a true force of nature and being in his orbit was invigorating, inspirational and an incredible motivation. But yiu know all this. It goes without saying…I miss him too.

His passing was painful and left a gaping hole. The price of love. But everyday I find a little joy in advancing his memory, by living the values he lived by and which he so eagerly shared with me (and our family) and by also sharing those values with others, especially with my children. I often find myself sharing or repeating a “Tony-ism” and the more I often I share them, the more I value his depth, wisdom and insightfulness…and the more I miss him. He was a father as a father should be and a true gentleman.

Again, I thank those who shared their kind words and thoughts, which were greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,
John Terlato

10 Likes

Thank you all for the tributes. I did not know him beyond a handshake once at a restaurant when we were introduced. He seemed nice; now thanks to your descriptions, I wish I could have sat down and shared a bottle.

1 Like