TN: 2016 Vouette et Sorbée - Champagne "Fidèle" (France, Champagne)

I’d been looking forward to trying this ever since I took delivery a few months back. First time with this producer. My note is extremely brief, below, but hopefully this kick-starts some nice commentary, nonetheless.

I was immediately struck by how strong the red berry flavors are — tastes like a healthy dose of still red wine was mixed-in — but it is a Blanc de Noirs, so maybe I should have expected this. Quite enjoyable, for sure, but overall much more “meaty” and “big boned” than I was looking for. Doubtful I’ll buy again, although I do wonder if this would be magical with maybe 5 years in the cellar. Does anyone have experience ageing this bottling?

Posted from CellarTracker

Interesting; my issue with this wine has always been searing acidity. Some more body would be nice, but that was with the 15.

Thanks for the note, Graf. My TN below was from the bottle I had open when we hosted Betrand back on May 1st. I did have crisp in my note, and intensity too. I enjoy these wines and have yet to age any, although I have some Saignee de Sorbee that I am trying to let sit for a few more years.

• 2016 Vouette et Sorbée Champagne Fidèle - France, Champagne (5/21/2020)
    First of two. Disgorged November 2018, 100% PN, no dosage, farmed bio. Opened yesterday, stoppered the bottle overnight and working my through the bottle again today. Love this stuff. Tangy plum, cranberry, crisp apple, mint and ginger, with lots of intensity. Finishes with a bit of creaminess and a distinct saline, wet stone note. This is excellent, and there should be no concern about this being young or zero dosed, or whatever you might think…Bertrand continues to craft cool stuff, farmed clean as a whistle with no BS.

Posted from CellarTracker

I have never had any of the Vouette et Sorbee wines improve with age though the range has expanded and I haven’t tried aging everything for 3-5+ years. In general, I find they usually lose some of their youthful fruit with time, but don’t really pick up any interesting secondary characteristics. For my palate, they are best enjoyed within a year or two of release. I have found that for those I like on release, they just kind of thin out and get boring over time; for those that I don’t like on release, time does them no favors. My favorite from Bertrand is still a young Saignee de Sorbee - fun, fun stuff.

i have had some reasonably old saignee de sorbee bottles. the 05 and the 08 both at over 10 years past harvest. the 08 smelled like aged nebbiolo a bit and was becoming savory on the palate. perhaps it was a bit too broad and losing focus on the finish. still interesting to taste. the 05 was far more fresh and young, but not quite as deep or intense. neither was as tannic or abrasive as it can be on release. i am not sure they were better though.

I looked back over my notes on the various wines from this producer. Normally you can find some focus or through line from a house. For VeS one my conclusion seems to be there is no focus. It’s come what may. That’s fine if I’m not paying the same price tags as I am for producers that try to deliver a consistent product hopefully expressing some personality for their house. This personality seems to be scattered.

I find this with most so called ‘natural wines’ though. They want to put experiments in the bottle and claim they are as grand as their neighbors with track records of consistency. While charging the same prices those existing houses have earned. I’m down for experimentation but don’t sell it to me as grand vin.

I’ve had both the '11 base Blanc d’Argile and the '13 base Fidele in the past 6 months and find both rounder and more complex than they were when I bought them. I like VeS a lot, but they are a more winey, slightly wilder type of Champagne that may not be to everyone’s taste, especially if you are used to sweeter, big-house Champagnes.

Thanks for chiming-in, everybody, particularly you, Brad, with your commentary on your experience with ageing these — very helpful! champagne.gif

ETA: thanks for the data point re: the '13 Fidele, Marshall. :slight_smile: