Best 2018 Vintage for LONG term cellaring?

Hi,
longtime reader, first time poster.

My son was born in 2018 and so I am trying to put away a variety of wines from his birth year that he will be able to drink once he becomes an adult. So I was wondering if anyone had thoughts as to what regions would be best for 25+ year cellaring of the 2018 vintage.

Thanks and Cheers!

Bordeaux Reds, Sauternes, and German Riesling Spatlese +.

Vintage Champagne, some grand cru burg.

Port, Sauternes are the top followed by excellent Champagne then others depending on style and structure. Great Bordeaux vintage however some will have a better structure than others.

Not sure I like the balance on a lot of 2018 Germans for long term cellaring.

large format.

It seems like California may have had one of the best years of any major ageable dry wine region.

I would trust Prum, Grunhauser, and Donnhoff and their history.

Was 18 good in champagne? As good as 08 or 12?

I think they are already starting to balance out a bit more. I think the top producers will age for a long, long time. I bought quite a few for wedding anniversaries, so I guess I’ll find out!

I thought early indications were 18 and 19 were both very very good vintages

Well yeah, but just saying Spätlese+ is a bit broader.

Fair. My only point was sweeter Prädikat’s.

I would add Ridge Monte Bello to the recommendations already made. We tried it at the Assemblage Tasting last year and it was fantastic. Regarding Vintage Port, Taylor is producing a Vintage Port in 2018, which is their 3rd consecutive year.

Ed

Personally, I wouldn’t lay down 2018 red Burgundy.

I second that… purchased a six pack back in 2008 when my son was born. Price … $75.00 per [snort.gif]

I would also be one to throw in reliable agers from California for 2018. I haven’t heard a winemaker in California talk about 2018s yet that isn’t just in love with the vintage. I’d have faith in the ageability of classics like Montebello, Corison, Mondavi, etc, but also in the newer-comers like Bedrock, Pax. I think a lot of people in Oregon were pretty happy with 2018 as well? There was some hot days there but producers known for restraint I think would fair well.

Bordeaux will age well with 2018s. Looks like there’s a question about 2018 German wines… good producers of German wines with good sites… I don’t think I’ve ever met a Riesling made by the likes of Prum, Donnhoff, Keller, Schafer-Frohlich, Egon Muller, etc that would even break a stride making it well past its 21st birthday.

A few Vintage Ports were declared. It’s been a great run for them with 2015, 16, 17, and now 18.

I think some 18s did better than others, and I’m certainly going to lay down some; it’s a birth year wine for my daughter too. I do think you have to pick and choose.

I’d go MacDonald or Ridge Monte Bello.