Champagne quiz #4 for all of us. Answer now posted

Please share how you did and offer any suggestions as to how it could have been done better.

Also, understand that I am taking information supplied in books and sources that include Peter Liem, David White, Jancis Robinson, Yoko, Wikipedia and others and my answers are only as accurate as that which comes from the authors and in a few instances, my interpretation of it.

Thanks to many who have responded, we`re getting some corrections and additional info from some who are more informed and thus, a more complete learning experience which is what this is all about anyway.

It is my intention to post one more champagne quiz, #5. Thanks for playing.

This one was mostly sourced from the Yoko book “Le Champagne, Le Champagne and Les Chaperons” {The wine, region and people of Champagne}

1} T/F 51% of all champagne made is exported; 49% remains in France. T

2} Name the top 5 countries in order of export quantity. UK, USA, Japan, Germany and Belgium

3} Champagne consists of 320 villages with 34,300 ha of vines on 278,000 vineyard sites planted to all but less than 0.3% to 3 main varities. Name the 3 in the order of % amount.

Pinot Noir 38%
Pinot Meunier 31%
Chardonnay 30%

4} There are 2 choices for replanting vines, one is via clonal selection. What is the other and how is it different?

Selection Massale which is sourced from a # of uncloned vines, often old vines, that have different individual DNA and characteristics. They also contribute to biodiversity and balance in the vineyards since the are adaptable to each terrior/ site. Some growers claim it adds more complexity and character to the wine.

5} T/F About 85% of Champagne is labeled Non Vintage. T

6} T/F The size of the bubble of champagne is the most important indicator of quality. F It is an indicator of the amount of gas but it is true that there is less gas in old champagne, because some of the gas has dissipated. This effectively creates a correlation between old champagne and fine bubbles.
Size and their frequency is a function of the size of impurities. The larger the impurity, the more it traps gas, and the bigger the bubble. After a moment, the site’s bubbling is exhausted because it traps more gas and the bubbling stops.

7} Name the 5 wine-producing districts within the historical province of Champagne and the top variety{s} produced in each.

Aube/ Cotes de Bar- 85% Pinot Noir
Côte des Blancs- 85% Chardonnay
Côte de Sézanne- 64% Chardonnay
Montagne de Reims- 41% Pinot Noir
Vallée de la Marne- 60% Pinot Meunier

8} There are 4 other products made in Champagne without bubbles. Name them.

Coteaux Champenois- AKA Vin Tranquille- still red or white
Ratafia- a sweet fortified wine that comes in red or white
Rose de Riceys- rose made from Pinot Noir
Marc/ Fine de Champagne- clear distilled spirit made from Champagne grapes

9} What is a gyropalatte? an automated option for hand riddling- can hold up to 504 bottles

10} How many dosage categories are there? Name them in order of dry to sweet. 7- in order of dry to sweet= Brut Nature, Extra Brut, Brut, Extra Dry, Sec, Demi sec and Doux.

Cheers,
Blake

Answers to be posted Sunday, 7/12

Every time I read your quizzes I am reminded about how much I do not know, and it is great. Thanks for doing this Blake.

This is really what makes it worth while to do these. Thanks for your feedback and let’s continue to learn more Jan.

See answers above