2008 Meursault Perrieres Coche and PYCM

We had these wines blind yesterday . Everybody ( 9 tasters ) preferred wine nr 1 : more focus , precision and aromatics . With very present acidity . Wine nr 2 was a very good wine but paled in comparison . We didn’t know what it was and I guessed Corton Charlemagne .
Wine nr 1 turned out to be the PYCM Meursault Perrieres . I don’t know why but 2008 is not a great year for Coche Dury . Maybe it was a period of transition between father and son ? 2009 and 2010 are excellent chez Coche , and so are the years after .
But I was surprised how big the difference was . PYCM’s Perrieres is a stunning wine , year in - year out .

1 Like

Thanks Herwig.

Thanks for this. I’ve been lucky enough to have a small allocation of the pycm perrieres but somehow don’t have the 08. Have you tried the 07 recently?

Not sure I agree with this, Herwig! I think they are just very tightly wound, due to very high acidity levels. When we tasted all the Corton-Charlemagne vintages of the decade a couple of years ago, the 2008 was my favorite (admittedly the 2005 was not showing as well as it can). I do think the inherently richer wines in the range (Rougeots, CC, Genevrieres) show better at this stage than the more chiseled, incisive wines… I write this only partially as a provocation to make me taste a 2008 Coche blind and contradict myself next time we meet champagne.gif

Thanks for these notes. I loved the PYCM 2008 MP (and basically every vintage) a couple years ago, but haven’t tried the 08 Coche.

at a 5:1 to 10:1 cost ratio between the two, put me down for PYCM.

You’re on William !

That PYCM MP never seems to disappoint

I know Coche is above my pay grade, but you inspired me to check PYCM prices on WS. Still 2-4 times the cost of Bouchard’s version. Dare I try the PYCM at risk of going down yet another rabbit hole?

do it. Do it. Do it. It’ll be out of our price range in a couple years.

LOL.

OK, 2 bottles of the 2017 on the way. Will do a side by side with the Bouchard. One soon, then how long would you recommend waiting on the second? Is premox a risk with PYCM? Do they use DIAM corks?

Boy David, you are easy. Have you taken up golf yet? If so, I see a lot of expensive golf clubs in your future. [cheers.gif]

PYCM use real corks and seal the top with a hard wax. I’ve consumed 6 cases ranging from 05 to 17 and only had an issue with the 05 MP.

I have been drinking PYCM for years. Out of the whole range, no problem. The PYCM Saint Aubins are great wines at a very fair price

Haha, yeah, that didn’t take much enablement. This is just a test case. We’ll see what I go back to reload on (not that I see much PYCM availability for reloading).

No golf yet. Waiting for a COVID respite. Maybe next spring.

Mike, Larry, thanks. Sounds low risk. So when do these shine? 10 years? 15? I used to like white Burgs with age (>10 years) way back before I gave them up for premox.

Hahah. And i went out and bought more 17 Bouchard MP!

[quote=“David Glasser”

Mike, Larry, thanks. Sounds low risk. So when do these shine? 10 years? 15? I used to like white Burgs with age (>10 years) way back before I gave them up for premox.
[/quote]

I think 6-8 years is a good time to open them. I find their lean, acidic style works very well in ripe years like 10, 12, 15 and 16. The 06s are phenomenal, but I just have a couple MPs and a Batard left from that vintage.