1947 Chateau Caillou Barsac. An experience!

Some background. I bought this bottle 3 years ago for my husband’s 70th birthday from an auction on K&L but we didn’t open it because we were a bit intimidated. So it sat. During the lockdown we have been cracking open lots of things i may have held on to longer because, why not?

A few weeks ago, I listened to the audio book of ‘Wine and War‘ by Don and Petie Kladstrup, which tells stories of French wine makers, growers and businesses folks and their families. A fascinating read! So for his birthday this year, we opened it. Wow!

This is not a tasting note. This is more about the wonderful truth I have experienced through this bottle. One that I have read many times but not really believed. That wine can transport you through time. It can reveal the work and art that was put into this bottle to wait. Just for us.

Removing the foil was a chore as it flaked in little bits. There was a some fine mold on the top of the cap and top rim that wiped off easily. The cork was soft but not spongy but even with my Aso, the bottom third broke of and went the bottle. No crystals or sediment.

Color is deep amber, clear and glowing. It runs thick down the sides of the glass but is not syrupy. The aroma is simply Sauternes. You would know it instantly.

It tastes fantastic! Still sweet but with a slight bitter driven finish of…something. Like a Creme Brûlée’s flavored with black tea. It is totally alive, vivid and pure. I want to contact the vintners to rant about how great this wine is and realize they are likely long gone. It is the oldest bottle of wine I have ever opened and at $300, the most expensive. It is also one that I will miss the most.
CBAA8CF3-3192-4AEC-89CB-638D6AE1A523.jpeg
F186A154-B782-4F84-A435-184B835E113C.jpeg
EA35ACC3-E8F1-4E36-AD79-80DE33709A3B.jpeg
E065DEF9-FA6D-42C0-B6C7-5D0F12796DA0.jpeg

What a lovely write-up.

Very cool, Robert. Thanks for posting and including the photos. Sounds like a great experience and wine.

Fantastic experience Robert! What a joy. Thank you for sharing.

Great note, Robert! Sounds like a fantastic experience.

Very nice. Just finished Wine and War too. Fabulous book.

Wow!

What a kick in the Barsac!

Great note, it made my mouth water!!!

Great note and I’m a huge fan of Caillou. Wine is a time machine. I actually was fortunate a decade back to bag a few bottles of the '43 and it takes you places; ideally with friends and family.

Also can’t overstate how fantastic Wine and War is. Sounds like a great pairing.

Loved reading. Thanks for sharing such a special moment.

Thank you, Robert, for posting this. I always enjoy reading your real and honest thoughts.

Great post. I enjoyed reading it and it inspires me to create more of these experiences myself.

I have had black tea creme brulee and it is amazing. Such a great descriptor for the wine! Wish I could taste it!

Awesome note Robert. Glad you and your hubby had a transport In time experience. To me, there is no higher praise for wine.

Robert, thanks for sharing that. Today was a rough one for me and this gave me a much needed smile. Congrats on the experience!

Thank you.
I truly appreciated the write up.
May you and your husband have many more awesome memories like this.

Fabulous write-up and wonderful experience! Thanks!

That was one of the most fun ‘notes’ I have read in some time. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Erik

Your husband is one lucky man! Great write up and I’m glad you had someone to share that experience with. Great read. Thanks for sharing

What fun reading that and seeing the pictures! Thank you. Old wine, when it isn’t dead, is special in so many ways. I love thinking about what the world was like back then and how amazing it is that I can drink something from that era. I guess I have that experience with anything from the 60s or older, but especially when I get back close to WW2 or before. Old wine doesn’t have to be great to be special. Sometimes it’s both, and those can be really magical moments, but sometimes the context is more meaningful.