Question and TN:2014 Balland-Curtet Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Sous le Puits

• 2014 Domaine Balland Curtet Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Sous le Puits - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru (7/1/2020)
    Slatey nose I associate with Puligny-Montrachet shows up on palate on entry, followed by a big whack of lemon, almost crystalline acidity, leading to a long, long finish. Bracing and eye-catching, great for the summer, or hold further, lot left in the tank. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Apparently this is the label of Guy Belland and “Guy’s grapes are grown and vinified “en metayage” by one of St. Aubin’s top growers” (according to Skurnik); they also claim Guy keeps the best part of his vineyards for himself. Anyone know who this “top grower” might be?

I think it depends. To the best of my recollection, the most recent info identifies Domaine Larue. I don’t think the bottle identifies it anymore, so it could be from the Ballard curtet website or a retailer note. I just remember looking for that info at one time. The older bottles used actually list who made it.

Thanks, Jesse,

Were you a fan of the older ones?

So I actually haven’t tried it yet. I picked up two mags of the 2010 Meursault Narvaux because they identified roulot on the front label. I figured at $100 or so each, it was a worth a flyer even if not the same exact wine. But I have had little reason to open a mag these days, so it’s unlikely I pop one until larger gatherings are allowed and safe.

I did go back at one point to check if the chassagne and puligny wines were made by the same producer. Found out they were not and passed on them. They may be perfectly good wines but I just don’t know. Sorry I can’t be much help here.

Well, the Narvaux seems like a smart play!