2016 Domaine Eden Chardonnay

Light to medium gold color. The aromas are broad and feature ripe lemon with hints of peach and conifer. The palate offers outstanding balance, both rich and refreshing with a lot of stony minerals to complement the other flavors, in line with the aromas. This is richer and more developed than previous vintages at this age, but it still has youthful vigor, promising a good future. The finish is over half a minute long and reinforces the great balance, satisfyingly savory while retaining plenty of zingy acidity. Rated 93.5, up to 2 points of improvement possible over the next 2 - 5 years.

Dan Kravitz

I just had this 16 Domaine Eden Chardonnay [Santa Cruz Mountains] over the last few days and enjoyed it, but actually liked the lower level 2016 Edna Valley bottling better this year. I don’t have much experience with this producer (unlike Dan) but I’d assumed I would preferred the higher level ones more. I found it a bit more lemony, and a little less full bodied than I like. I still have yet to try their flagship Mt Eden chardonnay, which is plentiful in our Costco at $45.

Still a very nice wine, and paired well with a chicken taco salad and fresh guacamole.

Domaine Eden is good wines and good value for the dollar. The pinot and cab are good, as well, both in a balanced type of style.

None of them are quite “back up the truck” type wines to me, but they’re good wines and fairly priced.

The Edna Valley Chard is fantastic QPR Chardonnay. It’s a go to for me for sub-$25 white wine.

K&L has tons of the above on their Insiders Advantage list for $20 currently; one needs to log in to see that price. I paid the same elsewhere and thought it was a fair deal.

1 Like