Ridge Winemaker Roundtable: History of Zin

There is a very good video of ystrday’s Ridge Winemaker Roundtable on The History of Zinfandel.
Can’t figure out the direct link to the video (help if you can), but go to the Ridge home page, scroll all the way to the bottom, click on the Facebook icon takes you to the Ridge Facebook page, then scroll down to the Videos, then click on The History of Zinfandel video.
Runs a bit over an hour. Usual suspects: MarkVernon/DaveGates/EricBauer/JohnOlney. Special guest is CaroleMeredith who appears to know something about the grape… at least she talks a good story!!
Near the end, she gives a very good discussion on varieties and clones.
Well worth the hour to view. I learned so new things.
Tom

I don t do facebook…any other point of entry??

Doesn’t look like this specific one is up there yet, but here’s where I usually watch them:
https://www.youtube.com/user/RidgeVineyards

Just went up today:

oh boy!

Carole Meredith is a national treasure. The Patti LuPone of American wine.

They didn’t advertise Carole being on. I’ve been watching these on and off. Tuned in a touch late and was surprised to see Carole’s face among the usual suspects.

A very informative session. Among all of the great info she could provide on top of the knowledge of their great team, she gave Ridge a good deal of credit for help with securing the history of the variety from near and far.

And she also provides a nice explanation of what clones vs variety is in the later half of the session for those still a bit hazy on the subject.

I could listen to Dave and Carole all day long!

I read the book about Zinfandel about a year back and it’s a fascinating story. But to hear Carole say that had they only been 5 years later, they would probably never have found it as it was in such decline, actually made me quite emotional. A 1000 year old grape lost to history, had they not found the link. Thank god they did! And it’s also a reminder to us here in the US and specifically CA to perhaps appreciate this old grape more than we do - it’s still pooh-pooh’ed a bit in the upper echelons. Carole touches on it at the end - to “noble grapes” like Cab Sauv who are not even half the age of Zinfandel.

Go Zin! I’m rooting for you! [cheers.gif]