Steak pairing: '10 LRA Vina Ardanza or '16 Produtorri Del Barberesco

I know both are young and may not be the ideal pairing, but I’d like to open up either a bottle of '10 LRA Vina Ardanza or '16 Produtorri Del Barberesco to go with a pan seared Ribeye steak, sous vide to medium rare. Thoughts on either and why?

IMO, the Ardanza is a much, much better choice. When I last had it a couple of months ago it was very young, but showing great. I had no regrets about opening that bottle, though the rest are now buried for awhile. I also had the '16 Produttori around the same time and it was disappointing. It was just too young to get much out of it, even over two nights, and felt like a waste. I also think that, for my tastes, the Ardanza is generally a much better pairing for ribeye. It has a lot of stuffing to stand up to a fatty steak.

Agree - I have both wines and the Ardanza is already delicious (though I’m trying to hold the remaining 6 bottles for the next 16-24 months) while the Produttori (tasted one of 6 for sport) felt like it needed more time. Even more matured, I’d probably not pair it with a rib eye but palettes differ.

Personally, I think both wines are drinking fine today, and I wouldn’t hesitate to open either. That said, I personally think Ardanza (and Rioja Riservas in general) is generally a better pairing with steak than Barbaresco (though certainly there are exceptions depending on the specific wines in question and this is also a very subjective view). (And while a filet would work great for Barbaresco, I think Ribeye prefers a richer style wine like the Ardanza).

I would typically prefer the Barbaresco (especially a non-cru Barbaresco like this or any lighter, more elegantly-styled Barbaresco) with a veal chop, roasted chicken, or pork…or with risotto!

And I’d be happy to have either, and I think the Produttori would be fine. The Produttori has lots of depth, so this isn’t a feminine wine, and the tannins would be mitigated by the meat. I’d decant it an hour or two ahead if you go that route.

Haven’t touched any of my produtorri yet but the last LRA was excellent in mid June. Personally I’d pour from cellar temp and follow it in the glass.

Thanks all, will go with the LRA this weekend. JohnK, appreciate the alternative pairing suggestions for the barbaresco…that’ll be for next time

Good choice! I had the 09 Ardanza late last year with roast lamb, terrific wine

Had the LRA about six months ago and the Produttori this week. Definitely go with the LRA.

you can’t go wrong here. I had the produttori last week and its fantastic. LRA '10s are also great right now. both of them have the stuffing for another 30 years. both of them probably need steak right now.

Lra

John K: couldn’t agree more on the risotto. Might pick up some porcinis today!

John

Had both and have both in cellar. Hopefully the Ardanza will integrate the oak some point. Nice wine, but too much oak showing at the moment (at least the bottle I had). The Produtorri was disappointing and there are better Barbarescos at that price range. For steak though, the Ardanza would be my pick.

Don’t hesitate to crack the produttori normale 16 now. Even if you pair with steak. No obvious oak. Just fruit, acidity and depth. Perfect barbaresco in every part of it’s life.