Sonoma cabs from the '80s and '90s...

Last night I purchased a 1985 Laurel Glen Sonoma Cab off a list on a lark when my 1995 Bouchard CC failed to perform [cry.gif]. Let’s just say it did a great job making me forget that disappointment

It’s dawned on me that every single Sonoma cab that I’ve had over the years - not many, say 6 in all - has been good to very good, and in my view they’re highly competitive with the second tier of Bordeaux from that time period. If one wants to be picky they seem to be missing the extra complexity that the very top tier of Bordeaux have, but make up for it by being user friendly, highly consistent, and long lived. None of the wines I’ve tasted have been anywhere close to falling apart, and most importantly - not a single one is remotely pruney

I only know of three producers - Carmenet, Laurel Glen, and Geyser Peak. Does anyone have additional producers to recommend?

Arrowood, Jordan, Silver Oak Alexander Valley and Kenwood (Jack London and Artist Series) come to mind. I haven’t had these in several years, so I don’t know how they are drinking now. Not a Cab, but some of the Ravenswood Pickberry’s from the early 90’s were fantastic. Those Laurel Glen’s from that time period are fantastic. Especially from the early to mid 90’s.

Ed

Best Sonoma Cab I have ever had was Kalin Cellars from the 80s.

The Beta Montecillo is a great recent example of a traditional Sonoma cab.

Chateau Souverain

Adding Rafanelli, as I completely forgot about them in my original response.

Ed

Jordan, Dehlinger

The 1984 Kenwood Artist was delicious last year, and a '93 Laurel Glen was singing too. Dry Creek made some nice Cabs in this time period, although I haven’t had them in years, as did Alexander Valley Vineyards.

^This^.

And has been mentioned Arrowood, Jordan and Dry Creek Vineyards. A dark horse is Rodney Strong Alexander Crown vineyard.

I bought a bunch of 81 Kenwoods a few years back and they do not disappoint, even though the foils are corroded and the first pours are often tinged orange. Give em an hour to ‘come to life’ and they offer a flashback to a time when cabs were made with better acidity, elegance and a touch of herbaceousness pre-VSP trellising . . .

Cheers

Their various level of Cabs consistently over perform their price range. It’s all about their balance.
Tom

Calluna.
They own the top of Chalk Hill and have planted to only Bordeaux varieties. David Jeffrey, winemaker, was trained in Bordeaux and has that sensibility to his wines. The Colonel’s Vineyard is the one to lay down; 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, but all the cuvées are worth trying. And their white is sensational.
Best, Jim

Simi was really great back then. Not sure how they have held for 20-30 yrs. But Simi Reserve and even regular bottling in a good year would likely be worth a go now.

Lyeth Estate if you can find it.
Gallo Sonoma

1986 Jordan. Got it at Total Wine for $20.

1984 Carmenet and 1984-86 Laurel Glen were fab. I drank a ton of them but unfortunately finished them about 25 years ago.

Chateau St Jean

I came across a few 1980 Jordan Cabs last year for ~$50-60 and snatched them up after reading some positive notes on CellarTracker. I was really impressed. Still have 3 left and always looking for more of them. Not often you get to taste a 40yr old Napa Cab, this one was really holding up quite well and I’m looking forward to opening another soon.

I’ve had two in the last couple of years, and both were very good - 1993 Kenwood Artist Series and 1987 Ravenswood Pickberry.

But my primary reason for posting is to thank the OP for using the apostrophe and the s properly in '80s and '90s. Errors with those abbreviations are quite possibly the only ones more frequent around here than using “varietal” to mean “variety.” Such unfortunately rare good form is to be encouraged and congratulated. [cheers.gif]

Thank you all for the names!

Dave you are too kind [cheers.gif]

Plus 1. If you don’t know how to handle the apostrophe, just leave it alone. [wink.gif]