TN: 2017 Schäfer-Fröhlich Bockenauer Felseneck Riesling Großes Gewächs

• 2017 Schäfer-Fröhlich Bockenauer Felseneck Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Nahe (7/11/2020)
    Haven’t had tons of GG’s, so thought I’d splash on a very highly regarded one. Extremely expressive nose, one of the best straight out of the gate. Mineral, cementy, stone notes on palate. Malic apples, lime and that slightly chopped garden hose note (I’m sick of calling it petrol;). Acid is very lively and it has a mouth watering coat. It is perhaps the most perfectly balanced Riesling I’ve tried - from attack to extended end - just and endless, even, perfect ride. Very long finish. Yes, you can tell it’s young, but it still drinks beautifully. My only hangup is as usual (and sorry to sound like broken record on this) the sweetness. This is just a tinsy bit too sweet for me. Almost there, just a skosh on the wrong side for my taste. But the flavors, depth and balance is all there, so have to score it for that. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Sweet???

Holy cow, I would say you should visit a doctor. Felseneck GG by Tim Fröhlich is the most dry Riesling you can find in Gernany. It‘s like licking stone.

I too was surprised, Adam. Did you mean the Felseneck Riesling Spätlese? The Felseneck Riesling GG is really utterly…dry.

Miran,

clearly GG, have a look at the photo,

Ok Adam now this explains some of your comments. I have encountered a few people who tasted sweetness in Rieslings that I know are absolutely bone dry, you must be one of those. I am sure you know but temperature has a major impact on this. A hair too warm and these tasters think Riesling is sweet.

As for the wine it is one of my favorite GGs. The aromatics you are describing sound like Sponti which is a unique smell that comes from Spontaneous fermentation specifically with Riesling. Tim Frohlich is known for this. It is slightly controversial in Germany. I like it and even if you don’t it blows off with a quick decant.

I will see if I can get the numbers on this wine…

Thanks Robert - would love to see the stats if you have them. I saw that someone had posted that it had 5.1gr/L of sugar as a response to the Cellartracker. Be cool to see what the acid is.

Martin, as for sweetness, someone else posted about it as well, so I can’t be the only one who’s extra sensitive to it. [cheers.gif]

Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 10.46.33 AM.png

my wife does the same thing. we can open a bone dry riesling or a GG and she will still claim to taste sweetness. weirdly it seems she only does it with rieslings too.

my theory has always been that there’s something about the fruit character of a riesling that reads as sweet. like y’all taste pineapple and your brain decides that flavor MUST be sweet? But its just a theory. it has kept her from enjoying some truly great rieslings and kept me from buying as many of them as I otherwise would, which kinda sucks haha.

So I was watching a IG live this morning with Ulli Stein and he was talking about how really old Riesling vines allow for a deep extract that can be interpreted as sweet. It made me think of this thread.

5.1gr/L ?!

Never ever. Sorry Adam, this can’t be true.

Felseneck is all about STONE and a little bit of herbs and grapefruit. And in the cool-climate vintage 2017 you have a high acidity and such a pure style.

P.S.

Correction, you’re right Adam. Felseneck GG has 4-5g RS.

Adam, if you are that sensitive to sweetness maybe it’s time to hop on the Australian riesling train. Grosset Polish Hill is always happy to make new friends!

From their website:

Profile: Bone dry (zero fermentable sugar), intense and powerful with persistent length

Oh, I loved it! One of the best I’ve ever had. [cheers.gif]

Oh, right, I forgot about that.

I haven’t tasted it yet but palates I trust have recommended Jim Barry’s Florita Riesling to me, which is another very highly regarded Australian Riesling. If you’re curious to explore further, this video came out recently and gives a nice overview on the state of Riesling down under (Grosset featured in part 2).

Thanks for video, Jan. Excellent information. Aussie Riesling not the easiest to get your hands on here in the US, but I will certainly try to get some if I encounter them.