TN: 2010 Copain Syrah Brosseau Vineyard (USA, California, Central Coast, Chalone)

• 2010 Copain Syrah Brosseau Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Chalone (7/11/2020)
    4 years since my last note and hitting the decade mark since the vintage. This wine is still toeing the line nicely. Opened at cellar temp on a very warm afternoon and followed through the evening. True to form it started out thin and a bit tart but with some air and a few degrees warmer it picked up body and structure.

I’ve been waiting for that point in this wines evolution where it starts picking up secondary characteristics. I can sense just the slightest bit of age on the nose but otherwise it’s just being stubborn. Black and blue fruited with pepper, soy, a little tar and that signature crushed stone minerality that Brosseau always seems to bring. Sat on the back deck following this as it came to temp (ambient was still 90° at 9pm) and it just sang. Great purity and balance, not a touch of alcohol detected even as it warmed up. So now what, 3-5 years before opening another? I’m thinking so and I’m sticking with my 2026 drinking window for now.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice note Brian! I was a big fan of that wine.

I too partook of one of Wells’ old Copains last night with a really pretty, red fruited '15 En Haut.

Thanks Mike, I’m going to miss drinking his wines. Any intel on what he’s up to these days?

Thanks for the note. I have a '07-'14 vertical that I will open sometime…

Brian, aside from a Tweet Wells made some months back, that indicated he was working on some sort of wine project, I have heard nothing, Like you, I’m interested in his work and wish him the best.

Rat, this was always a wine that I thought represented the best of what Wells could do, and via the unique character of the Brosseau plot. I’ve had 8 or so bottles of this over the years but not since 2018 so your note is appreciated very much. 2026? That would be cool to see it live that long. I’ve got just one bottle left.

Miss seeing you and Mike D. I’d normally be trying to get up there for a visit and rope you guys in but The 19 is in the way right now, at least for my comfort.

I hear you buddy, I’m already worried about Falltacular. The Rona is mui no bueno. I’ve got a whole lot of offline pent-up inside. Can’t wait to release it.

Yes, we’ll have to think about how we navigate through all of the options. We’ll just have to see.