TN: A small gathering with COVID safety measures

A SMALL GATHERING WITH COVID SAFETY MEASURES - Reston, Va (7/2/2020)

This was out first in person gathering since late February. Six of us got together at the host’s porch for an early potluck dinner.
Champagne
The 02 CdC was drinking incredibly well.

• 2002 Taittinger Champagne Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut - France, Champagne
    Unbelievably fresh example displaying generous yellow and white fruit, granny smith, apple tart, pear, lemon curd, mint, white chocolate, white flowers, cool mountain stream and limestone. Excellent concentration, very finely layered fresh white and yellow fruit, perfect harmony, precision and balance, generous fine mousse, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a seamless long generous fresh white and yellow fruit driven finish with white chocolate and a hint of mint at the end. This incredibly fresh example if flirting with perfection. (98 pts.)
  • 2002 Dom Pérignon Champagne - France, Champagne
    Perfectly mature nose displaying decadent yellow fruit, lemon curd, baked apple, peach, brioche, a hint of smoke and limestone. There is a hint of lees that slightly obscure purity. Excellent concentration, nicely layered concentrated yellow fruit, ripe and deeply toned, generous fine mousse, bright acidity and strong mineral, and a medium to long sweet yellow fruit driven finish with brioche and honey at the end. I find the bottle to be not perfectly pure, especially next to the 02 CdC. Drinking nicely. (94 pts.)

White wine blind
Another occasion to eat a enormous piece of humble pie. Initially it started as double blind but Justin informed us that they were all Chardonnay. It really didn’t help whole lot for me. Caveat emptor, my TNs may be all BS!

• 2012 Pierre Morey Bourgogne Blanc - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc
    Initially very ripe, perhaps Californian Chardonnay. It opens up beautifully. Expressive nose displaying succulent yellow fruit, lemon curd, apple, a hint of flint, spicy spices and mineral. Excellent concentration, rich and opulent but also good precision, bright acidity, medium mineral and long ripe yellow fruit driven finish. I am thinking Coche Meursault. Another slice of humble pie and serious Jedi mind trick. (94 pts.)
  • 2017 Etienne Sauzet Bourgogne Blanc - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc
    I get banana, grapefruit, white peach and lychee, making me to guess Valentini. Relatively light and refreshing, bright acidity and medium mineral, a medium finish with slightly bitter end. This is a good summer quaffer. (90 pts.)
  • 2012 François Raveneau Chablis Grand Cru Blanchot - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru
    Very ripe and slightly flat initially. Medium expressive nose displaying very ripe yellow fruit, lemon curd, lemon oil, a hint of dry peach, honey, sweet spices and mineral. Excellent concentration, packed ripe yellow fruit, rich and oily, medium acidity, medium mineral and a medium to long ripe yellow fruit driven finish. This is a dense and ripe style of Raveneau. I love Raveneau’s style of combining opulent and precision. Although delicious, it lacks precision. Perhaps a couple hours of decanting is recommended. (92 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine Roulot Bourgogne Blanc - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc
    Very youthful nose displaying fresh white fruit, lemon curd, pear, lemon, spicy spices and chalk. Very good concentration, rich yet pure and precise, good acidity, medium mineral and a medium long fresh white fruit driven finish. It is slightly spritzy. Not terribly complex but nicely balanced. I prefer the 12 Pierre Morey BB at one fifth the price. (92 pts.)
  • 2012 Vincent Dauvissat (René & Vincent) Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru
    Medium expressive nose displaying concentrated yellow citrus fruit, lemon curd, lemon coil, honey, sweet spices and limestone. Excellent concentration, slightly coiled yellow citrus, rich and dense, bright acidity and mineral, and a medium to long dense yellow fruit driven finish with honey at the end. There is no oak so am guessing Chablis. I liked it a bit more than others. Still needs time. I highly recommend a couple hours of decanting. (94 pts.)

Aubert

• 2012 Aubert Chardonnay Lauren Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    I thought mostly white fruit only two years ago. Medium expressive nose displaying rich concentrated yellow fruit, peach, pineapple, honey, crème burlee, sweet spices and earth. Excellent concentration, layers upon layers of concentrated yellow tropical fruit, rich and oily, medium acidity, medium mineral and a medium to long sweet yellow fruit driven finish with butter scotch at the end. Now, it has transformed to a classic style of Aubert, i.e. concentrated and rich. No need to wait. (93 pts.)

Red Flight 1
Rayas which I contributed was a clear fake. The 90 Falletto was great, always so consistent.

• 1985 Château Rayas Châteauneuf-du-Pape Reserve - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    My contribution. Upon cutting the capsule, the cork is slightly raised at the edge which is worrisome. The color is way too dark, even this is a young Rayas. The clearly shows American oak, perhaps a Aussie shiraz mixed in. Bought at HA in 2014, what a shame! NR (flawed)
  • 1990 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Riserva Falletto di Serralunga d’Alba - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Perfectly mature expressive nose displaying dry red and black fruit, dry cherry, black cherry, cherry syrup, licorice, leather, tar, strong dark spices and iron. Perfectly harmonious palate, layers upon layers of concentrated slightly dry red fruit, rich yet silky and precise, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a seamless long sweet red fruit driven finish with fruitcake and tar at the end. This is still noticeable but fine tannins. This particular bottle is singing. (97 pts.)

Red Flight 2
I really enjoyed the CCS. The 04 Masseto, which I truly loved early on, was purney in the last three occasions for my palate. I doubt it will improve.

• 2008 Scarecrow Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford
    Expressive nose displaying intense ripe black fruit, crème de cassis, milk chocolate, smoke, licorice, ink and cedar/strong vanilla and charred oak. Excellent concentration, layers upon layers of ripe black fruit, rich and silky, bright acidity, luxurious oak, slightly coarse oak tannins and a long intense cassis fruit driven finish. This is a perfectly formulated cult cab. (94 pts.)
  • 2009 Schrader Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon CCS Beckstoffer To-Kalon Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville
    Expressive nose displaying opulent black fruit, crème de cassis, mocha, lavender, dark caramel, lead pencil and earth. Excellent concentration, finely layered intense black fruit, rich and unctuous but also silky and polished, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a seamless long opulent black fruit driven finish with smoke and caramel at the end. This has developed nicely. Drinking beautifully. (97 pts.)
  • 2004 Tenuta dell’Ornellaia Masseto Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT
    This was one of the most hedonistic young wines of my life. I find the fruit expression a bit too pruney. Pretty consistent with the last two TNs. Dark fruit, dry herbs, milk chocolate and oak. Silky and unctuous. (94 pts.)
  • 2015 Enrico Fossi Sassoforte Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT
    This is a caricature of wine, kinda modern and ripe to the max, noticeable VA and cheery liqueur. Kinda Dolce & Gabbana silk shirt gone wrong or Donatella Versace.

2001 Rayas
Since the 85 was a fake, the host generously opened the 01 Rayas.

• 2001 Château Rayas Châteauneuf-du-Pape Reserve - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    A classic Rayas nose, all kinds of cherries, tobacco, white pepper, sweet spices and earth. Perfectly integrated palate, silky and polished. The magic of Rayas, so intense and expressive yet so delicate. Drinking exquisitely. (97 pts.)

It was a great evening, sharing great wines with great friends.
Posted from CellarTracker

Nice notes. You should report the fake to Heritage probably not the only time that guy consigned

It might have been a while since you got together, but damn it was worth it. Beautiful wines and great notes! Pierre Morey BB for the win!

I already did. The consignor passed away. A part of the game, caveat emptor unfortunately.

Thanks for the great notes, Kevin. What was the decanting prep for the Giacosa before serving? Whatever it was sounds like it paid off!

Thanks, Kevin. Quite a lineup. Wish I had more like that!

Did you take any Covid precautions beyond being only six and on a porch? Just curious.

Good to hear about the 2002 Comtes, thanks! I still have one or two of those.

We had a half dozen fans and a large table.

You guys are braver than me - thanks for the notes. 2002 Champagnes will give joy literally forever. I also really enjoyed the 2012 Dauvissat Clos, and look forward to more.

Fake? I thought that only Covid-19 is fake.

Had a great Sauzet Puligny-Montrachet Combettes 2007 yesterday (18/20).

And also an excellent Dauvissat Chablis Forêt 2009 (17/20, with a very good acidity for the vintage - but the wine is mutic and needs time).

Nice to see that a simple Bourgogne Blanc can be on par with a Grand Cru Clos. That is the magic of blind tasting :slight_smile:

Thank you big time for your notes. You opened, and wrote about, five wines that I have in my cellar. Reading them is a nice way to end the day!

damn, too bad HA isn’t standing by it.

We’ve been doing 3-4 people in a big back yard, no table though. Everyone sitting 6-8 feet apart on outdoor patio furniture.

Can’t you hunt his offspring? That’s the 21st century way.

Thanks for your notes Kevin. I liked the Roulot a bit more than you did, finding it a little more balanced than either of the chablis at this stage, neither of which showed enough minerality for my liking. We also drank a Azienda Agricola Valentini Montepulciano from I think '08 that was fantastic - a bit denser that most Montepulciano but with a good core of acidity that balanced the fruit well. As always, the wine was incredible but the company far superior!

Greg

Dave,
Only a quick decanting but over a few hours.
Kevin