TN: EdmundsStJohn Syrah BassettiVnyd '05...(short/boring)

Tried this last night w/ Susan:

1. EdmundsStJohn Syrah BassettiVnyd/SLOCnty (14.2%) ThirstyPagans With Big Ideas 2005: Very dark color w/ some bricking; beautiful intense blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah/very spicy strong c-c/black pepper very smokey/Rhonish/roasted/smoked meats/pungent classic Bassetti complex nose; quite tart/tangy/bit metallic intense blackberry/Syrah/boysenberry/very spicy quite c-c/black pepper very Rhonish/pungent/smoked meats bit earthy/dusty slightly dried out/tannic complex flavor w/ modest drying/astringent tannins; very long/lingering quite tart/tangy intense blackberry/Syrah/very spicy strong c-c/black pepper/Rhonish complex finish w/ slight drying tannins; a beautiful classic c-c/Syrah/Bassetti nose but starting to dry out a bit on the palate; best to drink up now whilst there’s still plenty of fruit.

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Bassetti is/was one of the coldest Syrah vnyds in Calif, though StoloVnyd over in Cambria is probably even colder. There have been some truly great Syrahs out of Bassetti. Steve no longer takes grapes from this vnyd. Not sure where-all the grapes go these days.
    Tom

where do people buy ESJ from? I keep looking and w-sing for it but its hardly available anywhere!

direct!

http://edmundsstjohn.com

You buy it from Edmunds St. John. http://edmundsstjohn.com/

lol I feel like your profile picture influenced the voice I read this post in.

I have actually looked at the website to figure it out and thought it just was set up to refer to retailers that sold it, but im guessing just email to get an order started?

Yep. One man operation.

We have a bottle of 2014 Denner Bassetti Syrah. While it’s on the opposite end of the spectrum from ESJ, hopefully it ages reasonably well.

What are the price points on the ESJ’s?

You’d have to read the winery’s website.

To confuse those of us who find that all Italian names sound alike, Steve is now making a Barsotti syrah: 2014 Barsotti Ranch Syrah – Edmunds St. John

Does anyone know what the status of the bassetti vineyard is? Is it sill producing?

I’m not actually Patrick Stewart.

According to the Bassetti Vineyards website (logically enough, bassettivineyards.com):

The majority of our grapes are sourced to premier local wineries and winemakers, (primarily Denner vineyards), resulting in a number of well-regarded single varietal Syrahs and Rhone blends produced under their labels.

But the Bassettis also bottle wine themselves.

(In journalism there’s an old expression: “You could have looked it up.” neener )

Yeah, but then we wouldn’t be Prolonging this thread unnecessarily :wink:

Thought maybe Tom or someone else would be able to relay personal info about the bassettis. We visited them about 15 years ago, and they were already retired and focused on the vineyard, so I wondered how they are doing.

Thank you for taking the extra time to teach me to fish rather than handing me some simple filets.

Yes, and it might have been McDonald’s fish filets if you weren’t careful.