Burg Frenzy

A very long luncheon on Saturday unearthed a few special bottles.

1996 Coche-Dury Meursault: Just a little shroomy from the cork. Still has a core of intense citrus fruit and whipping acidity of the vintage. Fresh colour and good underlying depth with a chewy finish.

2016 Coche-Dury Meursault: Some petrol reduction coupled with sappy orchard fruits. It is intense with great shape in the mouth and a fruit-sweet heart. Depth and length are special for its level.

2015 François Raveneau Chablis Grand Cru Valmur: Really deep, dense and layered but for now super-tight. It has almost Batard-like explosive power. There’s so much citrus fruit and spearmint and it finishes with great cut. Should be legendary in a couple of decades.

2015 Bouchard Père et Fils Corton-Charlemagne, Grand Cru: Fresh and vibrant yet accessible. Powerful white peach fruit is tinged with aniseed. It is unctuous with good line and underlying structure.

2004 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne, Grand Cru: This bottle was in superb condition. The nose has some nettle and spearmint along with pure white peach fruit. It is rich and unctuous, with loads of flavour and a rigid minerally spine. Feels like it is a decade away from its apogee.

2016 Vincent Dauvissat (René & Vincent) Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons: Fresh and tight. Feels shutdown. Good underlying material and quite textural.

2007 François Raveneau Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons: Almost smells like there’s some botrytis to the fruit, with its expressive nose of lavender and apricot. It has good depth of preserved citrus flavour. It is rich and voluminous, with excellent freshness to the back-end.

2017 Laurent Tribut Chablis 1er Cru Beauroy: Absolutely classic Chablis. All oyster shell, sea spray and citrus fruits. It is direct and linear, with intense fruits playing on a bed of chalk. It oozes saline minerality on the finish.
2017 Domaine Thomas Morey Bâtard-Montrachet, Grand Cru: An elegant rendition of Bâtard with latent power. Fine citrus and white peach aromas and flavours. Dense yet chiselled and plenty of minerality just below the flesh. Quite tight and reserved.

2010 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Grands-Echezeaux, Grand Cru: A gorgeous nose of Chinese 5 spice powder, rose petals, black cherry and earth. It is relatively compact but oh so deep and ethereal. Flavours are precise and it really builds, finishing with great cut and expansion.

2000 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Richebourg, Grand Cru: In a really good spot. Complex aromatics of Hoisin, soy, beef stock and licorice. It is round, ripe and textured, with a velvety feel against the gums and wonderful detail. The finish is a true peacock’s tail of vinous loveliness.

1999 Domaine Dujac Echezeaux, Grand Cru: Man this was good. Gorgeous floral spice to the aroma along with pristine cherry fruit. It has some sweet meaty flavours and delicious dark fruits. It is lacy and layered, possess excellent depth and really fans out on the finish. Still very youthful and a wine of beautiful poise and balance.

2006 Domaine Dujac Clos de la Roche, Grand Cru: So bright and punchy on the nose with a wisp of smoke, some dried flowers and blue fruits. It is silky and sensual in the mouth, with a hint of muskiness and excellent depth and complexity. The long finish is carried by perfectly ripe tannins and there’s a fine uptick of minerally acidity.

my recent 04 BdM CC was oxidized. Glad you got a good one. 00 reds continue to impress. Wish I had saved my 96 Coche. Great lunch and notes.

What a nice lineup. Some great ones in there for a lunch. You are living right these days.

That is a bit of a frenzy. Love the 16 Coche Meursault - it may be my favorite of the decade so far (haven’t tried my 17’s yet). And the 99 Dujac Eche is likely my favorite of theirs over time. Solid work.

Do you ever do any good tastings? Yowsa

Frenzy seems to he the right word! Thanks for the notes Jeremy. Have some 16 Dauvissat in the cellar so appreciate the data point there.

When I grow up I want a tasting like that, too!

Amazing line up. I can’t remember attending a lunch (or dinner) where there were so many great wines in succession. The Barolo and Champagne bracket were epic too. Fatigue meant that i was not sufficiently conditioned for the port bracket, which was probably a good thing given the 5 hr drive home!!!
That DRC Richebourg was off the charts good. A privelege to taste the Coches sid by side must say the Tribut Chablis was really top notch.
Happy birthday mate!

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing and describing.

Awsome tasting , happy birthday

Great notes and lineup! Thanks for sharing.

Wow, amazing line up. Of note - I rarely see anything but glowing reviews of any DRC 2000’s. Miss having lunch with friends.

What a frenzy! What vineyard was that 2016 Coche? Sounds as though there is 3 different vineyard bottlings and each distributor is different.

Not sure of the vineyard source for the Oz stock Chris.