TNs: Random Portuguese wine notes (old reds, recent whites and more)

These notes are a mish mash of shared meals, solo meals and more analytical, fast paced tastings (and it should be easy to tell which are which). The first four wines are from a young friend’s cellar, inherited from his grandfather, and from which we’ve only scratched the surface. Further news on that front might be coming in August, though I’d also like to introduce him to Burgundy on our next meeeting.

Portalegre DOC Tinto 1997
Blend of the great Alentejo five: Alicante Bouschet, Grand Noir, Aragonez, Castelão and Trincadeira. And what an Alentejo embassador: liquorice, meat stew, black olive, raisins, strong smell of beans, pork fat, stewed black fruit, pine, a hint of rosemary, still intensely tannic, youthful, medium acidity, at a great stage but still not at its peak. Super stuff, proof of the greatness the Alentejo can achieve with proper freshness.

São Domingos Dão Garrafeira 1999
Touriga Nacional, Alfrocheiro, Tinta Roriz. Currants, crystallized fruit, a hint of marzipan, cocoa, violets, a hint of earth, more elegant and viscous than tannic in the mouth, juicy yet plush with perfectly balanced acidity. Not evolving from here, but at a great stage.

Tapada do Chaves Reserva 2001
Aragonez, Castelão, Trincadeira and Tinta Francisca from one of the oldest established producers in the Alentejo. Tons of black fruit, caramel, dark chocolate, a hint of fresher raspberry and graphite, plush mouth, wide yet non obtrusive tannin, slightly more acid than the São Domingos, yet overall just so very decadent and hedonistic (not complaining).

Real Companhia Velha 1980 Vintage Port
Rather pathetic and dilluted pale amber color, more iced tea than vintage Port. Cedar, mahogany, rosin, wax, lychees, white flowers, sweet egg yolks, even a touch of cilantro. Very tame mouth - Ripe honeymelon and canteloupe, yet the whole thing is disjointed, like an asthmatic 90 year old with a bad back. An appropriate symbol for a bad vintage port decade (1985 being the exception for some producers), and an example of what 40 year old vintage Port should not be like, in my perspective.

Contacto 2018
100% Alvarinho by Anselmo Mendes. Happy to once again taste this absolute QPR flagbearer of the Vinhos Verdes - perfectly chiseled, balanced, consensual and simply tasty. It has great, but not overwhelming acidity, a vague plush juicyness which makes you reach for another glass and pairs well with food, and a slight hint of off dryness which is a nod to the traditional vinhos verdes while never ceasing to be a modern white wine. Unbelievable, screaming value for 10€.

Quinta da Pedra Escrita 2018
Alvarinho (35%), Verdelho (30%), Rabigato (30%), Viognier (5%), from sandy, granite soils in the Douro Superior at an average altitude of 575 meters. PnP late afternoon, then closed and went back to it for dinner. Pale greenish yellow. First impression was of a wide yet extraordinarily austere, mineral, chalky nose, hopelessly serious and restrained. High mid and end palate acidity turning the back of your mouth into the Niagara Falls, with a long finish. At my second try this was a bit more on the herbal side, plus a pale hint of white flowers, lemon and grapefruit. By the end of the meal the glass warmed up and I got shades of underripe peach. The high altitude is on display here. but probably not the most balanced or interesting example for the type, although the acidity did cut through my stew rather well. OK value for 11€.

Fitapreta Tinto 2018
Medium violet ruby, a bit pale. On first impression the nose has a beguiling tartness that beckons passion fruit and a vague hint of green beans, as well as sour cherries, high toned blackberries, white pepper and ripe tomato. The mouth is firmly tannic, with salty meatiness and a dryness which screams ‘I am not an easy drinker’. The sweeter red and black fruit - with high toned, acidic blackberry on display - showed up after around 45 minutes, but still as an afterthought to the tannic, slightly rustic, fresh backbone. Like a farmer in a new suit, this is Maçanita’s subtly subversive, anti-racking view of an Alentejo which not only goes against the impression of the region as a producer of smooth, ripe reds, but actively wears that badge. His brilliant, higher value signature wines are more successful in their creativity, but this is still good value for the price (around 10€), though in my opinion not as stunning of a bargain as the white Fitapreta, which I mentioned here: TN: Three wines by António Maçanita (Fitapreta) - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Herdade dos Templários 2019
Arinto, Fernão Pires, Riesling. green-ish youthful yellow. pretty nose, like a girl in a pink dress. Floral, with some ripe - not overripe - honeydew, a vague of rosemary, medium acidity and compact mouthfeel. Simple, straightforward.

Encosta do Sobral Selection 2019
Arinto, Malvasia Fina, Fernão Pires. pale green-ish, salmon-ish color, quite interesting. Somewhat mineral and austere, with timid white fruit and orange flower. The mouth has a sour, vegetable prolongation before straightening out into convention.

Bacalhôa Chardonnay 2019
Pale yellow. Lime zest, lemon curd, sweet tangerine and very ripe peach, and a hint of vanilla oak spice. It’s wearing red lipstick and winking at you, attractive but not classy. Similarly sweet-ish mouth and medium acidity. Your granny might like this, but so might you, if you’re feeling low brow.

Dom Martinho Branco 2019
Roupeiro, Arinto. Pale green-ish yellow, polished nose, silky mouthfeel, very subtle and well integrated oak. White flowers, lavender. As if it wore a white dress. Classy but understated, and honestly pretty great for 6€.

Quinta do Carmo Branco 2019
Roupeiro, Arinto, Antão Vaz. At first taste this had a thyme and floral nose, understated - too understated - and a flat, short mouth. Not incorrect, yet not much to hold on to either. After 20 minutes it developed roundness, width of flavor and more white fruit aromatics, becoming a pleasant if simple daily drinker.

Loios, by João Portugal Ramos, 2019
Arinto, Roupeiro, Rabo de Ovelha. Markedly green-ish pale yellow. Everything here is exactly balanced: the nose is tropical, with mango and passion fruit in the foreground, but not too exuberant and in your face. It ends with a vague, pleasant trail of herbal brittleness. The mouth has just the appropriate structure, freshness and acidity. Tasty! Further proof that JPR is very reliable across the price range.

Santa Vitória Reserva Branco 2019
Arinto, Verdelho. Pale yellow. Sharp, high toned nose, with white fruit but also evident oak. Somewhat uninteresting mouth - on the short side, despite correct acidity and persistance. Too technological, pass.

Portal do Fidalgo 2019
100% Alvarinho. Firmly established budget Vinhos Verdes producer. Pale green-ish yellow. Mineral, river stream-ish, freshly cut grass, grapefruit and lime zest. Dry, balanced, elegant. Fine and competent - quaffable.

Varanda do Conde 2019
Alvarinho, Trajadura. Pale green-ish yellow. Pretty, floral nose, with a just a hint of herbs and white fruit. Short, simplistic mouth, with correct texture and acidity yet athin, watery mouthfeel.

Portal do Fidalgo Reserva 25 Anos 2017
Another Alvarinho varietal. Golden yellow. Terrific oxidized nose with bitter grapefruit, damascus, dehidrated fruit, camomile, a hint of alcohol heat. The mouth has the vaguely honey-ish undertone I had expected in the nose but did not find. Really cool stuff here! A producer punching above its weight.

Contradição 2017
100% Alvarinho. Medium yellow. Ripe passion fruit, banana, honey. A bit shorter in the mouth than I would have liked, although it’s incisive and compact.

Soalheiro Oppaco 2016
Pale crimson. Blend of Vinhão, Alvarinho and Pinot Noir. Pretty nose of cherries, violets and a hint of blackberries, well balanced, plush, refreshing acidity, and very light on the palate. This would have been killer with a bit more complexity, but still, for my taste, this is what ‘verde tinto’ should be all the time - tasty, light and refreshing, rather than the pitch black acid bombs made out of 100% Vinhão that the people of Minho enjoy with their cabidela and papas de sarrabulho.

Soalheiro Reserva 2018
A textbook, appealling higher end wine from the Vinhos Verdes (as opposed to an actual vinho verde). There’s the lemon, apricot and mineral, the refreshing acidity, yet also the added complexity from the oak, with well balanced hints of vanilla. Wonderfully gastronomical.

Cortes de Cima Pinot Noir 2015
Being a fan of Cortes de Cima’s Reserva - one of my favorite Alentejo reds - I was curious to try this wine after finding it forgotten in a corner of the supermarket shelf. The grapes are sourced from a parcel only 3 km from the sea, near Vila Nova de Milfontes (a stunning beach, for those interested).
Brown-ish ruby. Sweet black fruit, salinity, some meatiness and oak spice, and just a hint of honey and dark chocolate. As this warmed up the nose ventured further into toffee territory. Firm tannins, medium acidity, quite juicy and gastronomical. A tasty wine, for sure, yet unquestionably a warm weather wine: the nose has a first impact of cherry Pinosity which almost immediately folds into the ripe black fruit spectrum. It’s akin to a heavily tanned German tourist after three weeks in Maiorca. I don’t think this will be improving any further, and it’s disappointing to see a 5 year old wine well on its way to Browntown. Can you imagine Alicante Bouschet from Chambolle-Musigny? Me neither. Also, overpriced at 27€.

Great notes, Tomas, and refreshing to read a list of wines I’ve never heard of before. We are lucky having someone like you advocating under-the-radar wines.

Thanks Jan! Part of the impulse that led me to buy the Cortes de Cima was from having read Sean Sydney’s TN on the Pinot you recommended and was clearly lovely. It’s a shame not a single one of your suggestions is for sale here, but I might be in luck if I find a UK importer that has at least a bunch of them.

Who made the Portalegre? I’m assuming that refers to the district in the Alentejo.
The Contacto is made with a few days of skin contact.
I was supposed to visit Fitapreta earlier this year, but you know how that turned out. :frowning:

It’s from Adega Cooperativa de Portalegre. There is tons of cooperative wine in Portugal and it is usually hit or miss, but the hits are pretty great. The Adega Cooperativa de Cantanhede’s wines have also aged splendidly.

I too would like to visit Fitapreta and see for myself how they make such vibrantly fresh wines in that part of the country.

It would be exhausting, and too exhaustive, to single out all the new tastings I’ve done recently on the domestic front, but I’d like to single out the lovely whites from Ribafreixo, in Vidigueira (Alentejo), who did very well indeed in my tasting today. Their three series - Pato Frio, Gáudio and Connections - consist mostly of varietal wines from typical Alentejo white grapes, with Connections also boasting the first ever Portuguese Chenin Blanc. Additionally, and like Cortes de Cima and Herdade do Freixo, Ribafreixo has also experimented with Alvarinho in the region, and the result was pleasantly true to the varietal in its mineral purity when compared to the more exuberant Antão Vaz. Lovely set of wines which, unsurprisingly, are crafted by Paulo Laureano, the great senator of Alentejo winemaking responsible for the project at Herdade do Mouchão.
IMG_20200830_210529.jpg

Sorry I missed the initial posting of this thread in July, super notes Tomas—what a spectrum you’ve presented in Portuguese wines, and with many of these, a testament as to how well they age.

I’ve only had one 1980 Port, the Dow that Roy opened for me. It opened my mind to port and that I didn’t have to be “in the mood” to drink good port. IIRC he decanted for about 6 hours, but this was back in 2008.

Salud

Mike

Thanks Mike. Portuguese reds in general are very age worthy, or were before winemaking became more modern. Even the most inexpensive Bairradas from the 1980s are drinking great right now - and when I mean inexpensive, I mean I have been offered some of these wines by a Bairrada producer because they are near worthless in the market. Sadly I don’t believe they make it abroad, except for the Caves São João wines which are also quite affordable.

I haven’t had that Dow’s, but I heard it’s a stunner, along with other ports from great houses in that vintage. Nevertheless, the 1980s were not a great port decade.

Cheers!

With the amount of recent tasting I’ve done I felt like a summary styled post was long overdue. It would be futile, and not necessarily interesting, to list every bottle I’ve been getting to know better, but I would highlight the following:

Anselmo Mendes’ Contacto in the 2019 vintage continues on its well-established path for delicious, medium-high acid, somewhat leesy, mouthwatering and incredibly well priced Alvarinho from the Monção-Melgaço subregion of the Vinhos Verdes. Still one of my absolute favorite wines at this price range going strong in its latest vintage, and such a huge step up from his entry level Muros Antigos lineup that I have trouble justifying their existence.

The Vila Real cooperative (Adega Cooperativa de Vila Real) is one of many co-ops in Portugal which has shed its past image of rusticity and improved their production standards dramatically, directly competing with the big industrial players (Sogrape, Lusovini, etc.), with the established Douro houses and other small producers for a fair share of quality domestic wine production. Vila Real’s wines are consulted by oenologist Rui Roboredo Madeira, of Beyra and CARM fame, and one of the results of that partnership is the delicious and absurdly priced Cancellus Premium, which has established itself recently as our white house wine. With a whiff of judicious oak, beautiful acidity and a peculiar austerity in the white fruit which I associate with the region, the 3,50€ discount price it can most often be sourced for in supermarkets makes it a scandalous steal.

The Bairrada has the peculiar challenge of producing tough, long lived, somewhat earthy wines, in an age of when the average casual consumer (at least over here) prefers oak free, fruit forward easy drinkers. Without betraying their roots, some Bairrada producers have tried to appeal to this market. I was not smitten with this 2017 Marquês de Marialva Colheita - a blend of earthy Baga with the more exuberant Touriga Nacional and Aragonez (the fact that they did not label the variety as Tinta Roriz is certainly not an accident), and with notes of deeply compotte-ish, plummy dark fruit likely encouraged by the hot vintage. I am comforted by the fact that the Cantanhede co-op responsible for this label, however, continues to produce the Marquês de Marialva Reserva, which is 100% Baga and whose examples from the 1990s are lovely in their tart austerity and herbalness. Now I’m keen to try one of the more recent ones and see whether they’ve “jumped the shark” or not…

I did a live Zoom tasting with the good folk from Regateiro, a Lusovini brand from Bairrada, and their efforts to appeal to a broader consumer base felt more successful in my view. Their brand new Regateiro Junior lineup comes with a straightforward, somewhat tropically ripe yet still balanced white - nothing too exciting - but also a lovely Baga, Touriga Nacional and Castelão red blend which gives the uneducated consumer a decent dose of ripe dark fruit while still preserving Baga’s earthy, herbal background structure. Formidable value for 5,50€, and a good “gateway drug” for the average public to eventually explore their higher end, varietal Baga wines (hopefully).

Also happy to report on how Douro whites continue their steady rise. Tasted blind, Kranemann’s Quinta do Convento’s 2018 Reserva felt almost Dão-ish in its beautiful balance of white fruit, freshly cut grass and a broadness of palate I associate with Encruzado - but no, this is a typical white Douro blend, and seeing Anselmo Mendes’ and Diogo Lopes’ names on the back label, I had to grin. Good oenologists make good wine anywhere, it seems.

Quinta do Cume’s Reserva and Grande Reserva also fared quite well. Jean-Hughes Gros continues his great work there, with the Grande Reserva having such a ripe nectarine exuberance I could swear there was Moscatel Galego in the blend - but it was likely the Malvasia Fina aided by judicious oak, and without ever overwhelming the freshness and balance of the wine. The Reserva, in a completely different profile of rather attractive austerity, had more evident oak despite shorter elevage, which I found rather curious.

Last but not least, Vale D. Maria’s excellent Vinhas do Sabor white. Quinta Vale D. Maria’s merger with Quinta da Aveleda has led to increased focus in wines beyond their top level reds, as is the case with their bottlings from Quinta do Sabor, in the valley of the eponymous river in the Douro Superior. A complex nose of vanilla pod, almonds, some toast and richly perfumed white flowers, certainly set for further improvement. Another blind taste which had me grinning as the paper wrap came off.

There were underachievers, too, and I’m particularly frustrated to continue to see some Alentejo producers stuffing their whites with artificial TA - the telltale end palate bitterness screams ‘technological winemaking’. Yes, it’s a hot climate, but natural acidity and balance are perfectly possible if you know what you’re doing - just look at Paulo Laureano’s many wines across the region, to say nothing of António Maçanita or Susana Esteban.