TN: 2006 Alain Hudelot-Noellat Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Suchots

Damp earth, menthol, cherry, maybe even a little roasted meat, converged in a warm, inviting aromatic. It took some work to parse out the elements, as it was so well integrated to a harmonious framework. Still notable tannins starting on the mid-palate, but plenty of material for further (5-10 years) of aging for things to further soften. Despite the bit of constriction from the middle to the finish it’s a fully promising showing, as a formerly severe wine has started to show its soul.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks, I have a few sleeping.

HN + Suchots equals a pretty stern wine.

Wonder where the HN vines are in relation to Richebourg.

Really!? I have never thought of H-N wines as stern.

I have quite a few 2006-2008s that would take that bet. In many other vintages I’d agree.

yes. We split a case long ago. It’s a super wine. I’ve had one. Or was that 05? TN: 2005 Hudelot-Noellat Suchots - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

I had an 08 Hudelot-Noellat Suchots last year and it wasn’t stern at all; great wine.

Fwiw, Charles’ first vintage: '08.

Haven’t had an ‘open’ 2008 from anyone at this point, reminds me of a modern 1996, without the overwhelming iron note 1996s have.

Not at all sure I regard 2006 as stern, either. I bought quite a lot and drink them fairly regularly. Even Bachelet’s Corbeaux has been succulent and friendly and the only stand off-ish examples I can recall are Confuron-Cotetidot’s Suchots (borderline corked when I look up my note) and Mortet Chambertin.

Appreciate this thread as I have a bunch of 2006 but haven’t tried very many yet. Good to know that at least some of them might be accessible.

I do recall that the 06 Mugnier NSG Clos de la Marechale showed very well when sampled last fall.

Cheers,
Doug

We had it opposite of an 08 Arnoux-Lachaux Suchots, both of which were pretty open (though we didn’t love the Arnoux). There are some 08s that are drinking well. I take the elevated acidity point, but it’s definitely not the same as 96 for me.

Well, I’ve not had any 2006 H-N wines so I can’t speak to them; rather, I was referring generally to wines from that domaine. I have had the 2008 Murgers twice in the past year and it was quite attractive and showing well both times. Other than truchot and pavelots 2006s, I’ve not had any 2006s that I have really enjoyed (although I haven’t had that many).

I’m just wondering if the sternness may be bret related? A few of the H-N wines I have had around this period have had some bret of varying degrees. This could explain David’s “bit of constriction from the middle to the finish”.

Agree on the analogy in many cases, but some 2008s have followed a different path and are really beginning to drink very well: 2008 Mongeard-Mugneret Grands Echézeaux a few weeks ago was very, very pretty and perfumed. Quite a lot more interesting than the nice but less memorable Echezeaux of the same year.

I do think there are some 2008s that are closed (Fourrier immediately comes to mind as a somewhat surprising example), but I’ve had a Chezeaux Suchots recently that was ready for business as well.

Jeremy, was that before or after Charles took over? I haven’t noticed brett in the wines since 2008.

There were no other signs of brett at all. The constricted element is something I have found in a number of 2006s. I see it as a vintage thing.

Haven’t noticed it as much recently Greg, but certainly had plenty in the noughties that had some funk.

David, one sign of bret to me is a clipped mid-palate.

I did not find it clipped. We’re into language here. I meant that it started the tannins started clamp down earlier than I would have expected based on the rest of how the wine showed. There was no clipping of flavor. It’s just still a bit hard. I find that to be a sad character of most 2006 Burgundies that I have tried, whether from H-N, Bachelet, Lafarge, Jadot, Drouhin, etc…