What is the deepest vertical in your cellar?

I’m not sure if this topic has already been visited, but could not find it with a search.

What wine do you have in the most vintages?

Here are mine, with the oldest noted:

La Conseillante: 26 (1970)
Trévallon: 18 (1985)
Pichon Lalande: 16 (1979)
Chave Hermitage: 15 (1982)

Chave Hermitage - 18 vintages. A couple at 16 and a few more at 13 and 12.

20 years of Monte Bello. 2000-present with some 1996 thrown in.

Eight years of Windy Oaks Proprietor’s Reserve - 2010 through 2017.

27 vintages of Sociando Mallet

I have only been collecting wines seriously for about 5 years and I have now 10 vintages of Gonon St-Jo.

1 Like

10 years of Shafer Hillside Select - 2006 through 2015. Soon to be 11 years with the addition of the 2016 vintage.

Myriad Napa cab - 2009 through 2017.
Soon to be 2018.

You should immediately take measures to avoid Robert Alfert tunneling into your wine cellar.

Claus should be scared, very scared.

20 vintages of Donnhoff Niederhauser Hermannshohle Riesling Spatlese - consecutive
14 vintages of Donnhoff Norheimer Kirschheck Riesling Spatlese
13 vintages of J. J. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese

There are a bunch of other German wines where I have 9 or 10 vintages.

My longest red wine vertical is 11 vintages of Edmunds St. John Rocks & Gravel.

I have some verticals of around 30 vintages, both German and French, and when I count all different vineyards, Prädikats and Crus it´s much more.

Beaucastel back to 89. Some vintages in Mags for my son’s wedding when it happens.

I am scared, however Alfert would need to break the world record for building the longest tunnel, in order to succeed
He is always welcome to visit though, should he come to Copenhagen champagne.gif
I also have smaller verticals of Magdelaine and Figeac

1 Like

The funny thing is, Sociando and Magdelaine are amongst my deepest verticals. I have the Maggie with some nice old years like 70, 75, 82 and 85, up to 2011. Would have to go count for total vintages. Among some of the popular Board wines, I have a straight vertical of Gonon back to 2007, a run of Levet back to 2004, Baudry back to 2005, and a mess of Ridge. Lanessan is all over the map, too.

1 Like

like this?

This is one of those questions I struggle with all the time: What am I building the vertical for? I realize that wine collecting is almost as much a hobby as it is about actually drinking the wine, so from that perspective I get it, but what am I going to do: have a bunch of people over and drink 20 vintages of Chave Hermitage? While that sounds AWESOME, I don’t have enough wine friends that would appreciate this (or that could reciprocate the offer with a similar wine, for that matter).

So if I’m just going to end up pulling my one bottle of 1994 and taking it to dinner with me one night, why am I spending time hunting vintages in auctions to build the vertical? I don’t have the kind of cash to build a vertical by the case - as fun as that sounds - so once I pull a single bottle… then what? I need to hunt it again at auction … or is the game ever over–did I win? I do consciously avoid bottles that are part of a vertical in my cellar for fear of “breaking up the vertical” … which brings me back to: what am I doing this for?

Spottswoode, 16 vintages starting with 82’. I have around 4-5 vintages from the 80s and 90s, 1 vintage in the 00s and the last 6 vintages.

Yes, though he might be digging with only tire levers and a small multi-tool.