TN: 2017 Domaine Jean-Marc & Thomas Bouley Volnay

Being a lover of elegant Burgundy and having read about these wines in some of the Burgundy threads, an e-mail came down the pipe from a local importer and I had to pull the trigger on three bottles. After sampling one, I am sorely tempted to grab some of the Clos des Chênes but seeing as it’s double the price of this villages offering I will try to hold off.

This is just everything I want out of Volnay and the Côte de Beaune as a whole. A sappy, pure, beautiful red fruit core draped with floral flourishes and just the right kiss of underlying oak for structure and body. The texture is so inviting; silky-smooth already, gliding over the palate with just a hint of pepper on the finish. I’m always hesitant to describe a wine from one appellation or another as being archetypical because of the variation from producer to producer, but I think this is Volnay to a T.

I’m excited to follow my remaining bottles over the next little while, and I think J-M Bouley will be a yearly addition to my collection.

Thanks for the notes. I love the Bouley wines and can’t understand why they aren’t more popular. Don’t miss the caillerets, which puts the lie to the argument that vines need to be old, or the Carelles.
A

These are excellent wines. Supple and giving at an early age. The two Bourgogne bottlings, which are sourced from vines in Volnay, are a great value as well. Lots of fruit and lots of easy-going pleasure …

I just got some 17 chenes

Open one and post a note, I dare you.

If they stay relatively under the radar, it’s fine with me! [cheers.gif]

The only wines their importer brings in here are the Volnay & Clos des Chênes, unfortunately.

Daniel has brought in other bottlings since they’ve had Bouley. This was just the most recent shipment.

These are absolutely brilliant wines. They’re not all that easy to find, at least from my regular sources. But I live them.

Noted. I could always use a pal to split cases with, you know…

Maybe I will; I have one bottle in the cellar and a 6 pack on prearrival so it may be worth a visit.