Dunn 2017 release

Anyone getting in on the Dunn 2017s? Going to get a few of the HMs and maybe 1 NV.

$130 HM
$85 NV
$295 HM mag
$195 NV mag

As a family, this fall will mark our 42nd harvest. But first, we are pleased to be able to offer you our 2017 vintage cabernets. Although very young, our 2017 wines are classic Dunn Vineyards Cabernets – perhaps a bit less plush than the past few years, but both approachable and ageable. The Napa Valley blend is moderately bodied, classic and elegant, yet still a little bawdy. The Howell Mountain is velvety and voluminous: truly a wine that wouldn’t punish you for drinking now but would heartily reward you for ample time spent in the cellar with many enjoyable moments along the way. As always, these wines will be sold on a “first come basis”, but not shipped until late fall when the weather cools.

Lastly, although we are closed to visitation due to Covid-19, we are pleased to begin offering virtual tastings with members of the Dunn Family. Details are currently being finalized, so check our website next week for updates ( www.dunnvineyards.com ) or send us an email for more information!

As always, thank you for supporting what we love to do. We wish you the best of health!
The Dunn Family

1 Like

I’m going to be going in to stash away for my son, probably a few HM and one mag of HM…probably won’t order until next week though

I did the same for my ‘17 son. What else have you picked up to hide away until 2038?

Just drank a bottle of '98 Champagne with my son for his college graduation. While I have plenty of Bordeaux saved for him, so far he has enjoyed the bottles of Champagne the most.

T. Altmayer wrote:
Just drank a bottle of '98 Champagne with my son for his college graduation. While I have plenty of Bordeaux saved for him, so far he has enjoyed the bottles of Champagne the most.

Tom, congratulations to you son and to you! When our son graduated a few years ago, we drank a 1994 Montelena Estate Cab to celebrate. And, since he likes rum, some El Dorado 21 Year Old Rum. He really liked the Montelena, but liked the rum more.

Ed

That is an awesome idea with the rum, never even considered it. Montelena is a favorite in our house and still have one '95 left for my daughter. Unfortunately, my other kids were born in '98 and '00, not great years for Napa, so moved to Bordeaux and Champagne for most of their stash. Cheers! champagne.gif

2017 is a vintage year for port. I have a couple of bottles of 2000 put away for when my daughter turns 21 next year.

Should be entering its fine drinking zone.

1 Like

Just finished an ‘02 Dunn HM for my recent grad—delicious ! Dunn HM is a good call and can’t miss option for birth year wines.

The Dunn, Monte Bello (and Klein Ridge cab), Togni, VCC, Leoville Barton, Lynch Bages, Clape Conrad, Taylor Fladgate and Fonseca Port, some Fourrier, and a few more bits and pieces here and there so far…still have plans for something Italian (TBD), champagne if a vintage year, Musar, and a few other things hopefully…

Edit: and a bunch of Bedrock magnums that I think could be special at 20-25 years old

Yeah, one of the Cali wines guaranteed to go the distance! The magnum will likely outlive me if we want it to

Dunn is an automatic buy for me.

Highly recommended for anyone thinking about it!

Interesting that their notes suggest a style softening? Plush (Less) and Will not punish you are not descriptors I usually associate with Dunn. I haven’t had any in a decade though, so have they switched a bit stylistically?

I’ve read suggestions to that effect on here, but I don’t know firsthand. I’d be curious for anyone who tastes these younger to comment.

Yes, softer oak and vanilla, not as tight on the tanins, the fruit is somewhat more forward.

I try to think of comparisons…

The Dunn and Diamond Creek used to be similar on release, with the Dunn being more brooding, but both exceedingly well structured and built for a long ride.

Now, I would say the Dunns are more similar to, perhaps Schrader or maybe even closer to Rivers Marie cabs. (I think the Rivers Marie comparison is the more valid of the two.)

I think it was the 2010 or 2011 that first struck me in the ‘new style’ way.

It first seemed like more new oak than anything, but I mentioned those other things above.

I have some 1985 HM that I Hope is ready some day before I die.

Timely post, I was thinking about it. I reached out to Dunn to join their list.

How do their list prices compare to retail? Is there a automatic or minimum purchase?

I can’t speak for retail pricing as I don’t look for it there. There is a 3 bottle minimum order requirement on the order form. The form doesn’t specify whether that’s 3 bottles of HM or NV. At $130 a bottle, this is great pricing considering the price of other Napa cabs approaching or exceeding $200/bottle.

PSA they have older vintages (13 I believe and maybe others) they cannot distribute and which can only be bought at the winery.