TN: 2013 Dauvissat La Forest

This was firing on all cylinders, but not a typical Chablis profile at all. Definitely on the rounder side, if I tried it blind I probably would have called it a CdB. Very well rounded though, honeyed and fresh and still plenty of acidity keeping it kicking. There is a hint of botrytis present. A good drink if not a classic Chablis.

thanks for the note.

Thanks, Jason. For some reason, I have more 2013 Dauvissat than any other recent year (maybe because no one else wanted it), and for some reason, I think I’ve only had one so far. Will have to pull some out to try.

They are excellent wines if you are not bothered by the lack of typicity.

I wound up in the same cAmp. I think the Sechets and Forest are drinking great right now. Although not classic, I feel like these have become a lot more “Chablis“ in the last year or so. I didn’t like where they started but they seem to be finding their way.

Hopefully 2015 can manage that too…

Agree with this from the few 2013 Dauvissat bottles I’ve had (so far, a couple of villages, forest and clos). Are you guys generally bothered by the less classic profile '13? I actually tend to like vintages '13 as it adds a very nice layer of complexity in my view.

Yeah–I tend to like Chablis that tastes more like chablis, but since I haven’t tried the 13’s in a while, I don’t know what to make of the vintage. The last truly classic vintage in my mind was 2007, although I like a number of other vintages (2014 and 2017 come to mind).

I think I like more classic vintages, but think 2014 falls in that camp. Have really liked most 2014s but drank all my early drinking bottles and the rest need some time! But the last few bottles of 2013 have been so fun to drink I like them too!

Starting to think I like 1er Crus more than Grand Crus because I get more of a Chablis profile (versus more ripeness). Anyone else feel the same way?

Yeah, I think in the non-classic years the grand crus have a tendency to get too ripe and lose their typicity