TN: 2016 Comm. G.B. Burlotto Barolo Monvigliero (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo)

• 2016 Comm. G.B. Burlotto Barolo Monvigliero - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (7/19/2020)
    An ethereal and engaging nose of rose petal, raspberry, cherry and exotic spice. It has exquisite balance and such delicacy, yet bristles with energy and possess such latent power. Tannins simply occupy a space and each sip unlocks another subtle nuance. It is weightless and supremely long. Brilliant wine!

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for note Jeremy.

I just received small parcel of village bottling in 375s. I hope my training-wheels version shows at least half as well as your glorious impression!

A Barolo for Burg lovers …

Are unicorns marsupials? Seems you have a fair share down under .

I love Burlotto’s wines …
Fabio Alessandria keeps the stems for Monvigliero which somehow ressembles Rayas …

Note that the Castello di Verduno Monvigliero is worth tasting …

Almost impossible to find here in the US now. Looks like pricing will be above $250 for the 16’s. I saw in the HDH thread that the 15 was sold well over retail at auction. I just picked up the 15 at a reasonable price based compared to Wine Searcher average. I’m wondering what folks have been able to find on the 16 ?

cheers

I was only able to nab one at retail alas. I do love Burlotto wines up and down the spectrum.

The Burlotto Barolo Monvigliero 2016 is almost impossible to find; the Burlotto Barolo Cannubi 2016 is even harder to find.

Had another bottle of this with lunch today. Simply sublime. Perfumed, ethereal, graceful and perfect in every way. By no means a crime to drink now.

2 Likes

Tempted to open one after reading your notes…

I reckon the only way these days to not have to pay the secondary market driven prices is through a long standing retailer relationship being. Though that type fair retailers usually try to do the right thing for existing customer = heavily allocated. At least that the case for me (I was lucky, come “late” to the party).
In Europe you might be able to find it at reasonable mark up in good wine focused restaurants.

You should. It’s exceptional now. If you have more than one, I’d enjoy one now then bury the rest for 10+ years. I can’t imagine the complexity this will have with some bottle age.

I should have it in january 2022, in a Barolo 1996 horizontale. I am sure it will be great.
When do you imagine its apogee ?

For a wine like this with such elegant structure, it’s difficult to say. I would guess 2030-2035.

I sounds pertinent, according to what Fabio Alessandria shared with us when he came to Toulouse with a fantastic verticale.

I should soon open a Monvigliero 2010 (it’s quite difficult to wait … it was so promising in 2015 … keeping Acclivi 2010 and Cannubi 2010 another few years).
The Rayas of Barolo … [cheers.gif]

Btw, the Monvigliero 2012 (18,5/20) was great in march 2019, the 2008 great (18,5/20 too) in february 2015.

Laurent, please be careful with your words! Comparing it to Rayas will make it even harder for those people who want to buy it for a fair price! neener

OK. I could also compare it to a Musigny … [wow.gif]

[smileyvault-ban.gif]

Jeremy had the appropriate words in his two descriptions …

Not only does he leave in the stems, but they press the grapes by foot (!) and the maceration is around 60 days. Yet the result is the opposite of what you might expect – subtle and feminine, not extracted or tannic.

FYI, Fratelli Alessandria’s Monvigliero bottling is also very good.

I have the 2012 Burlotto, Fratelli Alessandria and Scavino versions set aside for a tasting. I’m looking forward to the comparison.

Oh boy, I would love to try it now, but I only have 2 bottles of this wine :frowning: