The World's finest Chardonnay is from ...

Given premox and (IMO) a step change improvement in domestic Chardonnay, this could possibly get interesting.

My favorite Chardonnay is from the SCM, specifically from Rhys (Horseshoe is my fav) and Mount Eden Estate. Trout Gulch (Arnot-Roberts, Ceritas and Kutch) also very special. Ridge Monte Bello …

Absolutely world-class, IMO.

Trick question?

Montrachet. Chevalier Montrachet. Champagne (Dom Ruinart or Taittinger CdC).

I would say that the best value in higher end Chardonnay I have had is Taittinger CdC.

Best I’ve had is a Raveneau Clos. Never had a Montrachet though. Always been a bit too pricey for me. I’ve had some nice SCMs, but nothing as brilliant as Raveneau Clos.

1 Like

The trick question, but correct, answer to this is Champagne. I do think Cali is catching up to Burgundy a lot faster on Chardonnay than Pinot, though. If price is a consideration, I think you can absolutely make a case for California that you probably can’t for Pinot.

As this is subjective and acknowledging the decision early on in my wine journey to not chase the Burgundy dragon due to premox (White) and price/availability (red & white), I’ll go with Oregon.

A few years ago, I would chalk this up to being an Oregon wine homer. But as I’ve tasted more white Burgundy and CA examples (albeit not the top, top end of the pyramid, but producers and wines discussed and beloved on this board), often alongside top OR examples, I’ve yet to experience any CA Chard and very few Burgundies that I liked better than top OR Chards based on quality. When you factor in price/availability/premox and what I consider small differences in quality, I’m happy to remain solely in the OR Chardonnay pool.

2 Likes

The argument that White Burgundy is subject to premox and too expensive and therefore the world’s finest Chardonnay comes from somewhere else is flawed…

Of course it depends on whether you prefer ageworthy Chardonnay.

As board members will know, Mike Dildine is singing my song. The Santa Cruz Mountains may be the best terroir today for ageworthy Chardonnay, although I am a very long way from knowing where they all are. I understand Australia has a few candidates, especially from the west. His list is impeccable, but I would add Thomas Fogarty and Storrs. There are probably a number of others I don’t know well enough.

Dan Kravitz

What does a step change in domestic Pinot (still leaving it 10 yards behind Burgundy) have to do with the worlds best Chardonnay?

Champagne and U.S. Chardonnay are completely different wines from White Burgundy. Heck, Chablis is a completely different wine from Puligny or Meursault.

The best there is. Money no object?

Or best quality for the money?

1 Like

Where does this end?
“The World’s finest pinotage is from where”?
“The Worlds finest Egri Bikaver”?

1 Like

That is correct Mitch, we end with the “World’s finest Egri Bikaver.” [snort.gif]

Money is no object Mark!

the best white I’ve ever had is Walter Scott Cuvee Viticole Bunker Hill.

not saying its the best white ever but damn it was fine.

I have never had a Walter Scott wine.

if you like burgundy, I highly suggest them. The X-Novo and Freedom hill bottlings are also just ridiculous. and the price… they compare to Burgundies that are at least twice the price very very favorably.

I’ve heard d’auvenay whites are the best chards in the world. Tho I’ve never had :frowning:

2 Likes

To be the “World’s Finest Chardonnay”, wouldn’t the wine have to be better than Burgundies 10-20 times its price?

2 Likes

for sure. but I have never tried those. so I can’t comment on how it compares.

Fair enough. For me, the “best” Chardonnays I have had over the last few years have been:

Bouchard 2014 Montrachet [From a good friend.]
Ramonet 2011 Bienvenues Batard Montrachet [At a restaurant in Puligny-Montrachet called Montrachet.]
Bernard Moreau 2017 Chevalier Montrachet [Tasting at Bernard Moreau]
Taittinger 1990 and 1996 CdC [Good friends, but I am stocking up on CdC.]
Dom Ruinart 2006 [At Ruinart.]

For a number of these, it is good to have friends.