How long do you drink a bottle of Wine?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
G. Curd
GCC Member
GCC Member

How long do you drink a bottle of Wine?

#1 Post by G. Curd » July 21st, 2020, 3:26 pm

During my last tasting I noticed that I enjoyed the wine more the following day than I had the first day it was tasted. The bottle was left to chill over night and is a Riesling Spatlese. Today I was reading some tasting notes and noticed that one mentioned that the wine "only starts to reveal its potential after a full week". They were talking about a bottle of Riesling for reference. I have had red wines over two days and have had Rieslings over three days, but I have never really tasted an open bottle after 3 days. Most of the time the wine is gone by then [drinkers.gif] . To be honest I had never even thought of tasting a wine over a full week period. Is this something that typically done? How long do you enjoy a bottle of wine? Does it differ for different varietals?

I am not including bottles that have been tasted utilizing Corvin. I am more wondering about an open bottle (with cork in when not drinking of course). Thanks for sharing you knowledge [cheers.gif]
G a v i n

Sean S y d n e y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: How long do you drink a bottle of Riesling?

#2 Post by Sean S y d n e y » July 21st, 2020, 3:29 pm

I think I drink Riesling faster than any other wine I regularly consume. Low ABV and racy acidity means it disappears quickly.

(Sorry, probably not what you were after!)
Instagram: @seansydney

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: How long do you drink a bottle of Wine?

#3 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 » July 21st, 2020, 3:40 pm

Varies by bottle, familiarity with the producer, mood. Some bottles don't make it through the night, a near religious experience enjoying to the last drop. Some are just a splash with dinner and will last a few days to do just that. Newer producers or bottles i'm unfamiliar with turn in to a science project. Seeing how they evolve over days, pairings. There's some times I'll have 2 or 3 bottles over days like that.
Time Person of the Year - 2006

Bradley_Lyndon

#4 Post by Bradley_Lyndon » July 21st, 2020, 4:03 pm

I go through a bottle in about 2-7 days if I'm the only one drinking it. It all changed for me when I started using an air-tight stopper and putting unfinished bottles in the fridge overnight. I then pull them from the fridge about 45 minutes before I drink them on following days to let them come up to proper drinking temperature. Cheaper bottles can go downhill in 2-3 days, but nicer bottles can certainly last a week, and yes, sometimes day 2 or 3 or 4 are when the wine is at it's peak. My experience is mainly with young Bordeaux. I would imagine older bottles not lasting as long once opened.
Bradley L.

Curtis Chen

#5 Post by Curtis Chen » July 21st, 2020, 4:08 pm

1 or 2 days. I start getting pretty iffy results by Day 3.
CellarTracker: Curtis Chen

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » July 21st, 2020, 4:13 pm

Wine rarely makes it to day 2 in our house when both of us are drinking. If I'm on my own it does. White wine is sometimes better on day 2. Red wine....almost never, for me. I find some aspects may be improved, but the stale elements that enter in outweigh the improvements.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Howard Cooper » July 21st, 2020, 4:19 pm

In my experience, I have found that many German wines (esp. sweeter one) hold better in the frig opened than do other wines. Would be interested if that is the experience of others.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Kris Patten » July 21st, 2020, 5:08 pm

I finished off a Suduiraut 2001 after about 6 months in the fridge taking a little sip maybe once a month that was more than enough.

Little livelier on day 1, but on month 6 there was no real oxidative notes and it was just as, if not a bit more enjoyable.
ITB

Uli K.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Uli K. » July 21st, 2020, 5:49 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 4:13 pm
Wine rarely makes it to day 2 in our house when both of us are drinking. If I'm on my own it does. White wine is sometimes better on day 2. Red wine....almost never, for me. I find some aspects may be improved, but the stale elements that enter in outweigh the improvements.
Exactly my experience - I’ve definitely experienced the ‘better on day 2’ scenario many times, but only with wines that were very robust and/or needed serious amounts of air. I often find more delicate red wines (old world style Pinot for example) slightly disappointing on day 2, even vacuum plugged or refrigerated. Same with many aged wines. I only go to day 3 or more if I don’t care much about that particular bottle. So, 3+ days only make sense to me if no oxygen can get to it.
U. K 1 u m p p

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » July 21st, 2020, 5:53 pm

German riesling hold amazingly well in the fridge. When I visited Martin Mullen a couple years ago he pulled out a 1993 Wolfer Goldgrube auslese, half-full bottle, that had been sitting in the fridge for a month. Wine was still fresh, bright, and complex.
CT: rieslinghoarder

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » July 21st, 2020, 6:09 pm

Since I like to alternate red and white, and Laura drinks little if anything during the week, a bottle takes 3 nights to be finished. As long as I pop them in the fridge, and they are not older, that works fine. Older bottles are where I “force” myself to finish them. ;)
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by RyanC » July 21st, 2020, 6:13 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
I agree w/ this. People so often talk about a wine that is "better on day 2." But I'm honestly not sure I can think of a wine that I preferred after the first day. It may be because freshness is something I very much value in a wine (and even older wines can show great freshness on day 1, but pretty much never on day 2).

All of that said, weeknight wines often make it 2 days in the Caughey household, as I often want just a glass or two with dinner.
Last edited by RyanC on July 21st, 2020, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C@ughey

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » July 21st, 2020, 6:14 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 6:09 pm
Since I like to alternate red and white, and Laura drinks little if anything during the week, a bottle takes 3 nights to be finished. As long as I pop them in the fridge, and they are not older, that works fine. Older bottles are where I “force” myself to finish them. ;)
Do the cats help?
CT: rieslinghoarder

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » July 21st, 2020, 6:34 pm

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 6:14 pm
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 6:09 pm
Do the cats help?
The white cat sneaks a dram now and then. He has thumbs, so he can open the bottles.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

G. Curd
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by G. Curd » July 21st, 2020, 6:36 pm

Thanks for the responses. It's really interesting to see the different ranges. I agree Sarah that there is a difference in red and white for me. Some reds will taste similar if not smoother the next day, but the lighter taste or stale elements do typically make reds not as exciting the next day. Drinkable for sure, but not as exciting most times. However, I don't use any air tight stoppers or anything so that is probably something I need to invest in. Thanks for reminding me Bradley and also welcome to the boards!

I think you are right Howard. I have found that German Rieslings taste just as good and sometimes better the next day (depending on producer, vintage, etc) much more so than Reds. I typically drink california cabs and Oregon/Washington Pinots so I don't really know how French wines do on day two.
G a v i n

G. Curd
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by G. Curd » July 21st, 2020, 6:38 pm

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 5:53 pm
German riesling hold amazingly well in the fridge. When I visited Martin Mullen a couple years ago he pulled out a 1993 Wolfer Goldgrube auslese, half-full bottle, that had been sitting in the fridge for a month. Wine was still fresh, bright, and complex.
That's awesome. I too have found that, but have a small sample size. I know if Brian says it about German Riesling than I can trust it. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry for two posts in a row.
G a v i n

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Thomas Keim » July 21st, 2020, 6:48 pm

A nice Burgundy, a couple hours, a nice Vinho Verde, a couple minutes...
ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

David Kingsbury
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by David Kingsbury » July 21st, 2020, 6:57 pm

We generally have a couple of bottles open all the time. Usually a rose’ or sparkler and a red. Some reds seem to open more on day 2 especially if they are younger. Everything goes into the fridge until the next day.
newhere ITB

C. Keller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by C. Keller » July 21st, 2020, 6:57 pm

One day for me. For the most part I only partake on the weekends at which point I am opening a bottle around 3pm and not finishing it until 11pm.
Chris

TonyD

#20 Post by TonyD » July 21st, 2020, 7:11 pm

Since I am the only drinker in the household, a bottle lasts me 3 days. I was leaving it out with the rubber stopper in and the results on day 2/3 were OK but not as good as day 1. I just recently started putting it in the fridge to keep and I am finding my day 2/3 experience to be slightly more favorable. Easy enough to do so why not?
Tony DAG

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Jayson Cohen » July 21st, 2020, 7:23 pm

Except for wines with RS taking the open air better, I find no rules or assumptions I’ve had hold.

I’ve had many red wines (mostly young) better after 2-3 days open with just the cork stuck back in. This has happened with Barolo, Cote Rotie and Cornas and Texier’s Pergaud wines, Beaujolais, and Burgundy for sure. For whites certain older vintages of Prum were almost undrinkable without at least a week open. That doesn’t happen as much anymore, but I often like young German Riesling and Vouvray better on days 2 to 5-7 open.

It’s now part of my normal practice at home to follow wine over many days. I did it the last couple weeks with the 2018 Huet Le Mont Demi, 2006 Bosconia Reserva, and NV (2014 base) Roederer Brut. The Huet was best and the same from days 2 to 5. Bosconia was beautiful on days 3 and 4. Roederer didn’t even start to really show until day 2 after it was open. Best to my taste on the 3rd day.

Ian S

#22 Post by Ian S » July 21st, 2020, 7:36 pm

How long do I drink a bottle of wine?

Until it's finished, of course. What a daft query! neener [snort.gif]
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Alan Eden - the "Crazy Uncle" Berserker [berserker.gif] and Master Pot Stirrer [stirthepothal.gif] forever!

"I swear to god, I've never seen so many whiny bitches in one place in my life." - Steve Saxon, 01/30/18
"Moral superiority can taste awfully good to some." - David Kantrowitz, 05/29/19

Philip N. Jones

#23 Post by Philip N. Jones » July 21st, 2020, 7:45 pm

I vote with Ian. Easy answer.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Michael Martin » July 21st, 2020, 7:55 pm

Young wines, 1-3 days.
Older wines, within hours.

G. Curd
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by G. Curd » July 21st, 2020, 8:24 pm

I agree. Ian has it all figured out.

Thanks for you post Jayson. That really makes a lot of sense. I recently did tasting notes for a 2007 JJ prum Spatelese and did the notes on the first tasting. I had to go back and edit the notes after the second day because it was so much better on day 2. It was something I hadn’t really ever run into bc I am typically drinking with others and only occasionally have left overs for day two. I honestly would have rated it a full 2-3 points better the second day (if ratings mattered at all).
G a v i n

Bradley_Lyndon

#26 Post by Bradley_Lyndon » July 21st, 2020, 11:08 pm

I don't use any air tight stoppers or anything so that is probably something I need to invest in. Thanks for reminding me Bradley and also welcome to the boards!
Thank you so much, glad to be here. The air-tight stopper makes a critical difference. When I was just reusing the cork to stop up partially drunk bottles they may have lasted 1-3 days. Now I bet I could get more than a week if I really wanted on many wines.

Specifically, I use the wine stoppers from Crate and Barrel. They cost $2—probably the best investment I’ve ever made in the world of wine.
Bradley L.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Jay Miller » July 22nd, 2020, 6:43 am

Two separate questions here. One is personal drinking habits, the other is how different wines are affected by time after opening.

As with Jayson I've been surprised too many times to have hard and fast rules but generally speaking it's a rare young German riesling which I don't think is at least as good if not better a day or two later.

An Equipo Navazos PX kept improving and developing more and more in the fridge over the course of months.

The 1995 Grand Puy Lacoste I opened last week was pretty indistinguishable on day two after consuming about 1/3 of the bottle and putting the rest in the fridge. Day three it was not nearly as good. Day four I dumped the remainder.

I still remember a Clos Roche Blanche gamay which I drank 2 glasses of and then got paged from work and discovered the bottle hidden behind some papers about a week later. I was ready to dump it but poured a sip and it was gorgeous!

On the other hand sangiovese is a grape which I find needs some air but almost never lasts to the next day.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by David Glasser » July 22nd, 2020, 7:03 am

I’ve found that Repour (https://www.repour.com/) works substantially better than a simple stopper. They’re not too expensive. Bottles hold up 5-7 days without noticeable change. I mostly use them on older bottles. Young wines tend to do fine overnight without it, and a bottle rarely lasts beyond 2 days.

John Kight

#29 Post by John Kight » July 22nd, 2020, 7:36 am

As per Howard Cooper's post above, I think that, in general, sweet wine in general holds much longer in the fridge, and sweet(ish) German wine improves the most after opening with time in the fridge. The sweeter the wine, the longer it can 'last' after opening. Most Sauternes can last 2-3 weeks in the fridge. Spatlese and Auslese Riesling can often last a week and actually improve with 1-2 days.

However, in response to the question in the original post, MOST wine is best on day 1, "still drinkable and decent" on day 2, and "still drinkable but iffy" on day 3. There are exceptions, and particular grapes (Nebbiolo, for example, and often Syrah) are much better at holding, or even improving, by the next day than other grapes (Sangiovese, Grenache, Pinot Noir).

Even within those general rules there are exceptions. (On a few rare occasions I've been surprised to find a Brunello that NEEDED to be opened overnight and had vastly improved overnight, though I try not to leave any Sangio unconsumed unless I'm really not feelin' it on day 1 and believe it has enough stuffing to make it worth trying again the next day). However, 90% of the time wine is at its best either upon opening, or within 3-4 hours of opening.

Corey N.

#30 Post by Corey N. » July 22nd, 2020, 9:22 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 4:19 pm
In my experience, I have found that many German wines (esp. sweeter one) hold better in the frig opened than do other wines. Would be interested if that is the experience of others.
That is absolutely my experience. A couple years back I drank some Falkenstein Rieslings a full week after opening and there was no sign of deterioration. That said, usually an open bottle doesn't last that long.
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Nøv¡¢k

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Howard Cooper » July 22nd, 2020, 9:56 am

Kris Patten wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 5:08 pm
I finished off a Suduiraut 2001 after about 6 months in the fridge taking a little sip maybe once a month that was more than enough.

Little livelier on day 1, but on month 6 there was no real oxidative notes and it was just as, if not a bit more enjoyable.
Sauternes and other sweet wines (e.g., the Loire) also hold up very well in the frig.
Howard

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Howard Cooper » July 22nd, 2020, 9:59 am

RyanC wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 6:13 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
I agree w/ this. People so often talk about a wine that is "better on day 2." But I'm honestly not sure I can think of a wine that I preferred after the first day. It may be because freshness is something I very much value in a wine (and even older wines can show great freshness on day 1, but pretty much never on day 2).

All of that said, weeknight wines often make it 2 days in the Caughey household, as I often want just a glass or two with dinner.
I can think of one red wine that tasted better on day 2. Several years ago I tasted a bunch of California Cabs at a dinner with a group of friends. One of the wines there was 1994 Dominus. I was a bit disappointed in the wine. Seemed a bit monolithic and not showing much complexity. There was some left in the bottle at the end of the night and I brought it home. It was marvelous the next night. My take was that the wine was too young and showed it the first night but with additional air opened up.
Howard

Claus Jeppesen

#33 Post by Claus Jeppesen » July 22nd, 2020, 10:02 am

Michael Martin wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 7:55 pm
Young wines, 1-3 days.
Older wines, within hours.
And older Riesling within 3 weeks or so
Claus

Riesling and Slate

Bob C

#34 Post by Bob C » July 22nd, 2020, 5:10 pm

Around 3-4 hours, when drinking with my roommate. Would probably be closer to 2 hours if he drank as fast a I did;)
B0b Ch3n

M. Taylor

#35 Post by M. Taylor » July 22nd, 2020, 7:17 pm

How long does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll POP?
The World may never know
M a r k

GregT

#36 Post by GregT » July 22nd, 2020, 7:54 pm

A few hours.

Oloroso sherries however, may last for a few months.

On extremely rare occasions, we have some wine left in a bottle and drink it the next day. When I sold it, I'd often have leftover wine for the next day, but often as not that became cooking wine.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by ChrisJames » July 22nd, 2020, 8:44 pm

In my experience, I rarely find either reds or whites better on the second day than on the first. I'm sure there are wines that do improve, but I've had enough disappointing second day bottles to not want to risk it.

However, I did do an interesting experiment once with a bottle of 1996 Serio e Battista Borgogno Barolo Cannubi around 2006. I decanted a bottle, left it in my wine cellar, and drank one three ounce pour each day until it was gone (eight days). I recall it was at its best around day three and started to fade around day six. It was kind of a silly experiment, but I got a bunch of bottles for cheap so had some fun with one.

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by lleichtman » July 22nd, 2020, 9:52 pm

G. Curd wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 3:26 pm
During my last tasting I noticed that I enjoyed the wine more the following day than I had the first day it was tasted. The bottle was left to chill over night and is a Riesling Spatlese. Today I was reading some tasting notes and noticed that one mentioned that the wine "only starts to reveal its potential after a full week". They were talking about a bottle of Riesling for reference. I have had red wines over two days and have had Rieslings over three days, but I have never really tasted an open bottle after 3 days. Most of the time the wine is gone by then [drinkers.gif] . To be honest I had never even thought of tasting a wine over a full week period. Is this something that typically done? How long do you enjoy a bottle of wine? Does it differ for different varietals?

I am not including bottles that have been tasted utilizing Corvin. I am more wondering about an open bottle (with cork in when not drinking of course). Thanks for sharing you knowledge [cheers.gif]
Lately, few of our wines make it more than an hour.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

Matt Anderson

#39 Post by Matt Anderson » July 23rd, 2020, 10:48 pm

I only drink reds and I’m the only drinker in the house. I live alone actually. It typically takes me about 4 hours to drink a bottle.

It worked out perfectly when I was binge watching tv shows like Game of Thrones, or Billions or whatever. Each episode typically lasted about an hour, so I would watch 4 episodes and by the time they were all over, I was just finishing up the bottle.

Return to “Wine Talk”