2018 Elena Walch Pinot Bianco

Aromas have fine intensity, with white fruit, floral and a touch of green herbal notes. The palate is surprisingly rich, but with good, mouth-watering acidity and excellent balance. There is density without weight. The finish is long, the flavors are savory, this is fine and seamless. Rated 90.5, fully enjoyable today but could improve for some years.

I’ve had a few dozen bottles of various Walch wines over the years but do not remember trying the Pinot Bianco before. Now I’m feeling stoopid. I’m going to grab half a dozen more, hoping for further evolution. This isn’t going to make me forget Terlano’s top bottlings, but I’m going to remember that Alto Adige is the mother lode for this underrated varietal, and that Walch is an impeccable producer.

Dan Kravitz

Her grand cuvee called Beyond the Clouds is a pretty incredible white blend which includes their best Pinot Bianco in the blend.

Thanks for the note, Dan. I am new to drinking her wines, and paying more attention to Alto Adige, in general. I had the EW 2018 Sauvignon Blanc from Castel Ringberg vineyards last month and it was pretty special. A serious SB. Loaded. And a relative steal.
I need to try this PB and the Beyond the Clouds bottling.

I underestimated AA Pinot Blanc for years, but I drink quite a bit of it now. The region seems to specialize in making excellent examples of less well-known varieties: Silvaner, PB, Mueller-Thurgau, Kerner…

As Dennis said, I think their Sauvignons are not taken seriously enough either, some really striking wines.