A Few Vietti Barolo Wines

2016 Vietti Barolo Castiglione: An inviting nose of cherry, floral spice, cedar and earth. Sinewy structure is draped with fleshy, briary fruits. It has good depth and intensity and really tightens on the back-end. A serious Castiglione that should blossom given cellar time.

2004 Vietti Barolo Rocche: An expressive nose of tar, tobacco, cherry and earth. Fruits have a glossy feel in the mouth and it is a deep and penetrating wine of power and precision. Immaculate proportion and balance and just starting to blossom into something very special.

2007 Vietti Barolo Rocche: More ebullient and boisterous than the '04 version. Dark, creamy fruits envelop the palate. It is rich and voluminous, with a core of sweet black cherry and substantial yet round tannins. Length of flavour is very good.

1970 Vietti Barolo Castiglione: A touch of leather and tar to the aroma. It has a fresh palate, with tart cherry and dried fig flavours. There’s some truffle development and whippy acidity cleaning up the finish.

Thanks for the notes.

Any idea what went into the Castiglione in 1970? I’d imagine there was less demand for the single-vineyard bottlings then, so it might have had a higher proportion of the best fruit. Just surmising/speculating.

No idea I’m sorry John.

Stylistically, how would you say the current wines ie 2016 compare with the earlier wines from 04 and 07? Is the winemaking style/approach similar or has it changed since then? Thanks much!

Hi Alan,

I’m not sure that they have changed that much. There has always been a glossy feel to the wines without ever sensing that they are contrived or over-worked. 2016 is such a brilliant year, with exquisite balance, that you can approach all of the wines now without getting hit with a wall of tannin. Yet, there is so much in the tank. For instance the '16 Rocche feels more approachable than the '04 and '07 did on release.

Best Regards
Jeremy

Very nice bracket Jeremy. Really like this wine, but it’s becoming more difficult to procure.

Just had the 16 Castiglione from 375. I was surprised at how well it drank but it seems like it was still just a glimpse of whats to come. Beautiful wine for sure.

Jeremy- have you had Vajra at all ? If so how would you compare the Ravera from both producers ? Quite a price difference we see here in the states between them.

Cheers

Thanks for the note on the 1970. I still have some 1989 I have been contemplating opening!

Hi Fred,

I haven’t had any Vajra '16’s.

Cheers
Jeremy

Thank you for the notes Jeremy. Always a treat to pop a cork on a Vietti, from the wallet very friendly Tre-Vigne Barbera to the single vineyard treasures. I had the 04 Brunate earlier this year and I’m still thinking about how good it was, similar to your great note on the 06 Rocche.

Side note and I have been meaning to ask you this for some time, who is in the picture of in you avatar?

Hi Dale,

The man in the picture is Albert Seltz. He has a winery in Mittelbergheim in Alsace and is a really fun guy, making good wines. We import some of his wines into Australia.

Cheers
Jeremy

Albert Seltz, no sh%t! Used to sell his wines for a wholesaler here in CT back in the 90s. Used to access them from a small broker Russell Herman, who is still active. Have not since those wines in 25 years. They were very good and very affordable.