Best Amarone QPR

I’m looking to increase my Amarone inventory without breaking the bank too much. Any suggestions on relatively affordable Amarone?

Speri, Bertani, Tommassi, Masi, Tedeschi, and Allegrini all offer value.

In some cases you may enjoy the Dal Forno or Quintarelli Valpolicella Normale better.

I really enjoy Bussola’s Amarone.

I don’t drink Amarone often, next time I do, I’ll look for one. Thanks for recco.

My pleasure! And from my understanding (this is the only Amarone I’ve ever had), this is considered more port-like in style.

I have never had Speri or Tedeschi. How would you compare them to the other 4?

I have enjoyed Tommasi and Allegrini a few times but the best qpr that I’ve had was easily 2014 Stefano Accordini

Funny how “QPR” and “value” are relative, and when you’re talking about Amarone, any list of more than 3-4 value wines invariably includes $100+ bottles (such as Bertani) and $80 bottles (such as Speri and Allegrini). However, if you’re okay with that price range, Kris’ list above is a good one, and I would add Brigaldara and Bussola to that list.

If the question is really aimed at slightly lower-priced bottles, then Masi (from the list above), and Zenato are good ones that can be found in the $45-$55 range. At even lower price points, there are some decent examples that, while maybe not as consistent, can deliver very typical Amarone performance in the $30-$40 range (Zeni, Farina, and occasional $30 producers that you can occasionally stumble upon at Costco). I would also mention that many times a Ripasso can deliver very-close-to-Amarone flavors at half the price of Amarone.

For my own taste, Tomassi is a personal favourite, but it is closer to $55-$60…It’s always being impressive though a more modern-styled wine (it’s clean and fruit-forward, but also with very typical/characteristic Amarone flavor).

any ideas how I can get my hands on their wines?

Ideally lower prices, but I am aware I am reaching. I am a very big fan of the 2015 Masi Costasera. I bought 6 for just under $50ea and think I will buy more. I think I tend to like Masi more than Allegrini, but I have had less experience with Allegrini.

I keep finding Ripassos too light. I still enjoy many of them, but when I want an Amarone I am looking for something much more full bodied than the ripassos I have had. Any ripasso under $50 that you would say is very full bodied?

I’ve tried most of those mentioned and really like Zenato. Masi adds 5 Stars to their front label on the normale in the strongest of vintages.

1 Like

I think Zenato and Tommassi are the two to try…And Zenato’s Ripasso might be your best bet (although it’s quite likely you’re correct that these don’t have the body you’re looking for). I would also suggest Cesari’s “Gema”, a Corvina-based wine that is quite concentrated and a great near-Amarone wine to try, typically about $30.

Good information, I had no idea!

These.

+1 Zenato: both their Amarone and their Ripasso (which is an amazing QPR!)

A great thread! I am a Bussola fan, and would add its “TB” is a bit more expensive but a big step up in quality.

I have had very nice Alighieri as well. And as a bonus, how cool is it that it was once owned by Dante’s son?

By the way, the Bussola TB recioto may be my all time fav dessert wine. Try it if you can find it – a fascinating sweet/savory experience.

Love Bussola!
Rare Wine company is the importer.

1 Like

Moderators, please delete this comment immediately as a serious violation of the Official Wine Secrets Act!

seems like reciotos in general are overlooked. Do you age any?

[rofl.gif]

I recently had a '96 Quintarelli that I picked up at the estate about 15 years ago. It was great, but I’m not sure I can definitively claim that it was any better or worse (as compared to what I remember tasting in Italy) as a result of the bottle age. I could certainly tell it has aged/advanced, but not sure it’s actually improved any.

Funny how much love Masi Costasera gets here, because to me that’s one of the most disappointing Amarones I’ve tasted, consistently. Perhaps something like 10 vintages, ranging from after release to +50 yo. I think even the regular Zenato Ripassa gives you more Amarone experience than the regular Costasera. I’d like to hear what makes Costasera so great, because I really just don’t “get” the wine.

IMO Costasera Riserva is a whole 'nother beast, coming across not only more impressive than the regular Costasera, but being a surprisingly impressive effort as an Amarone, period. I’ve no idea how much it costs there, but here it has been only a bit over 10€ than the regular Costasera, thus offering much more value for a relatively small price increase.