Adam Sabelli-Frisch in the SF Chronicle

Apologies if someone already posted this, but Adam Sabelli-Frisch was profiled by Esther Mobley in the SF Chronicle.

Available here: Forgotten chapters of California history, in two long-neglected wines

I was worried the article was going to be on RS levels in German wines!

Just kidding…Congrats Adam!!

Congrats Adam!

Ugh. Behind a paywall.

I like the TNs:

“ Flame Tokay, made as an orange wine: Sabelli-Frisch “Lanterna” Flame Tokay Mokelumne River AVA 2018 ($30, 12.6%). The Chandler Vineyard’s 119-year-old Flame Tokay vines are the main source for this wine. Its copper color resembles that of a ramato-style (a.k.a. skin-contact) Pinot Grigio, another pinkish-skinned grape variety. The wine is intense, slightly volatile on the nose with suggestions of date and butterscotch, and more structured on the palate than you’d expect, thanks to a three-week maceration on its skins. The tannins have a bitter bite to them, recalling grapefruit pith.

• Mission, a light-colored but deceptively big red: Sabelli-Frisch “La Malinche” Mission Mokelumne River AVA 2018 ($30, 13.6%). With Mission, there’s usually a disconnect between the light appearance and the hefty weight, and that’s very true here. The wine is light to the point of translucence, with orange brick-colored highlights. It smells like red cherries, the inside of a cigar box and rose petals, and on the palate tastes rustic, tarry and thick, with a core of juicy strawberry and blueberry flavors.

• Alicante Bouschet, a full-throttle red: Sabelli-Frisch “Gordon W.” Alicante Bouschet Lodi 2018 ($30, 12.7%). Another grape variety with a long history in California, Alicante Bouschet is notable because its a teinturier — its flesh is red, not clear. Predictably, it’s dark and opaque and almost seems to stain the glass when you swirl it. It tastes like a full barbecue all at once, from the grilled meats to the charred herbs to the blueberry pie for dessert. Full-throttle, huge, just barely containing itself.”

Thanks! I spoke to her about Mission 2-3 months ago and had almost forgotten about it, until yesterday all of a sudden I noticed an uptick in online sales at the regular price (so not Berserkers or people who follow the wines on Instagram, I took it). After Googling it I found the article. It’s almost embarrassing in a way - I really don’t deserve a mention when there are winemakers who have made Mission for longer and are much more experienced - but I’ll take it! [wink.gif] [thumbs-up.gif]

1 Like

Don’t be so humble. You make an excellent rendition.

Have friends coming over for dinner tomorrow night, and I had already pulled the Mission to serve.

[thumbs-up.gif]

Good work!

Always good to see board contributors get some love. good work Adam!

Everything looks/sounds great about the wine… except the wax top :wink:

Tastes great too… the wine, not the capsule!!

Congrats, I should apply for the waiting list. I loved every bottle I got!

“This is the Zodiac speaking…”

Can’t believe I was the first to this joke.

Anyway, congrats Adam, always appreciate your contributions here. And your other craft (cinematography) I hold in even higher esteem than winemaking, so there’s that. Storaro, Nykvist, and Almendros 4Life.

Thanks Sean! I named my son Sven and my wine Gordon Willis, so that says all you need! Working on my next sneaky Spanish infused name, and Serra sounds good. It could either be Eduardo Serra ASC, or Junipero Serra who brought Mission to LA. The old double whammy.

Congrats Adam, I likewise enjoy your perspective here in the forum.

Very happy for Adam!

Congrats, Adam! A few days ago, we enjoyed the Flame Tokay (my favorite) with shrimp. Yesterday, we opened the Mission, which goes very well with lamb. We’re looking forward to your offerings next year!

Popped and poured last night. When I introduced the wine, there was head scratching. But it turned out to be a real crowd pleaser.

Thanks!

Paul - good to hear! Did you serve it blind or was there just general Mission head scratching? [cheers.gif]

I told them what it was and shared the SF Chron article. I think they were predisposed to judge the varietal, but were pleasantly surprised.